A Sink Full Of Bunnies

Post up your meat smoking, sausage making and other recipe secrets right here. This is the place for all things that are good eats.
Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

A Sink Full Of Bunnies

Post by Duck Me Runnin » December 20th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Well, I didn't feel like chasing the ducks to the bootheel, and we have a little snow on the ground. Those two factors did not bode well for the wabbits.

Hell, I had a blast. It was like being a kid again.

I'm bettin' those clover munchers ( whole ) will spend part of Tues. afternoon in a cloud of mulberry/ pecan smoke, and then be transferred to a stock pot. They'll then spend the rest of the afternoon getting to know their fellow members of the broth-eren. :biggrin:

Just before they're ready to fall apart, they will be ladled onto a bed of buttered egg noodles.

Damn ! I can almost taste it. It makes me wonder why I ever stopped huntin' those tasty little forkers.

There's still almost two months of season remaining. This may just have to happen again before it ends. :cheers: thumb2:
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

RB
Admin Team

Re: A Sink Full Of Bunnies

Post by RB » December 20th, 2009, 5:23 pm

DMR, how many of dem lil bastages did you whack? Prolly 6 if I'm guessin. Back in Minnesota this week til Wednesday. Might have a bunny hunt coming up in the future if you are interested.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » December 20th, 2009, 8:49 pm

SAMCRO wrote:You sound like you know what you're doing, DMR. Does Mrs. DMR enjoy your wild game?
Samcro, DMR is enough wild game for any woman.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » December 21st, 2009, 7:51 am

Sorry :rotflmao:

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » December 21st, 2009, 9:45 am

How long do you smoke the bunnies? I've never thought of rabbits as being compatible with a smoker.

Seems like they would toughen up/dry out on the smoker.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » December 21st, 2009, 1:22 pm

WM, I don't know how long Greg does them but once you had a good layer of smoke on the meat he is going to simmer them in a stock pot. If you don't have a real hot heat source you won't dry stuff out slow and lowing smoking it. A couple of hours at best on the smoke and I'd prolly put them in the pot but we'll see what Greg says.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » December 21st, 2009, 4:02 pm

SAMCRO,

The wife will eat any fish or mushroom that I darg home.

That's about it, unless I make goose or deer jerky in the smoker. I usually have to hide some that chit if I want some for a weekend trip, or it will be GONE !

Dave,

RB is right. I'd say 1 1/2 to 2 hrs in a low-temp, high smoke environment. But, you can smoke them to perfection, for sure. Just keep them whole, and only on the rack that is just above the water pan. Soy sauce, onion, and a couple of diced garlic cloves in the water is what I typically use. The little backstraps off of a well smoked bunny are off the charts.

I did some about three years ago, and threw some left over leg meat in with some scarmbled eggs. I'm talkin' " fight your grandma good " :yes:
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » December 22nd, 2009, 8:09 am

I love rabbit hunting. DMR, the bootheel is one hell of a hotspot for ducks and rabbits. But, anymore, you probably need permission to hunt them down there. I'd be happy right now with a half dozen of them bastages cut up and fried. God I love them. Haven't had it in years. After the 15th, I'm going to be hellish on some squirrels though.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » December 22nd, 2009, 8:54 am

I pick the bunny back straps every time. Best piece on them.

I've killed a boatload of squirrels, and have cooked them several different ways, but rabbit meat kicks the pants off of squirrel meat every time.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » December 22nd, 2009, 1:23 pm

I like the taste of squirrel over rabbit. But, the tenderness of rabbit goes a long way for sure. You can't beat a young fryer when it comes to squirrels though.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.