The Opener???????????

Information about trout fishing in Missouri
RB
Admin Team

The Opener???????????

Post by RB » February 2nd, 2010, 12:38 pm

I know you goaters and duckers on here catch trout without admiting it so the usual question for this time of year is who is going to fish the opener? And, where are you going to fish? When we go it's usually to Montauk in the fly only area where you have to wade to fish. Not usually too bad. At least we can stay away from the cheese chuckers. Two years ago had a limit of 4 fish bigger than 15" in about an hour and caught about 20 in that time. When back to camp and ate em for breakfast wif over easy eggs from the farm and fried taters. You should see the trout camp we stay at.

Roscoe Dog
2018 Member of the Year

Re: The Opener???????????

Post by Roscoe Dog » February 4th, 2010, 9:34 am

I'll wait till friday to go. Went to opening day once and that was enough of that crap. Trout, eggs and taters for breakfast sounds good though.
Dave we will have to hit up Maramec Springs and the cabin again. Maybe get a few more to join in.
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » February 8th, 2010, 10:44 am

That was a good time for sure Mike and the fish fry was great.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » February 10th, 2010, 3:58 pm

I plan on being out there on the 5th, but not opener or over the weekend.

I need to get me some cheese :rotfl:

:boozer:
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » February 11th, 2010, 7:49 am

With the opener on Monday that should hold some of the crowd down. I went a couple of years ago to Montauk and it wasn't bad in the fly area but the cheese chuckers were elbow to elbow. Plus it was 70 degrees when the horn went off. We'll wait for the masses to leave before we hit it.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » February 11th, 2010, 10:04 am

I need the groceries, so I will ‘proly be out there every Friday for several weeks. ‘Fried up my last bag of trout over the weekend, had stretch the fish fry with store bought ocean perch and flounder. Ocean perch was not that bad but they can keep that flounder.

:boozer:

Cheese chucker :rotfl:
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » February 11th, 2010, 10:33 am

We call them cheese chuckers. I took a fly fishinig course in St. Louis several years ago and the teacher was a champion fly caster from Michigan. He went to Meramec for the first time when he moved here and was in the lodge building and saw a mountain of blocks of Velveeta. He thought damn these Missouri fishermen eat a lot of cheese. He later found out it was for bait and laughed his ass off. Said he never heard or saw anything like it.

Roscoe Dog
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Roscoe Dog » February 11th, 2010, 3:13 pm

I'll probably hit up Maramec Springs friday the 5th.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » February 11th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Mike, I'll probably be in LA the first two weeks of March. Don't know when I'll get finished out here.

Roscoe Dog
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Roscoe Dog » February 12th, 2010, 7:15 am

Let me know when you can go and we will hit up Maramec again. I will bring the key this time.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » February 12th, 2010, 7:55 am

:rotfl: that was a classic oops RD.