I guess we're back to

This is the place for general discussion about hunting and all outdoor topics including pics of the HCOTW. Moderated by Warmouth, 2012 MEMBER OF THE YEAR.
RB
Admin Team

I guess we're back to

Post by RB » January 14th, 2019, 11:51 am

just getting views and no posters. Been checking in but nobody has posted. I guess the snow has everybody off their game.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Re: I guess we're back to

Post by Tigerhaze » January 21st, 2019, 1:22 pm

I was without power for three days last weekend, so the snow was a factor.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » January 23rd, 2019, 2:34 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:I was without power for three days last weekend, so the snow was a factor.
That sucks. I have been looking at generators because when we're out of power we don't even have water. During the recent snow storms we had both bath tubs full of water just to flush with. Can always cook on a gas grill but would not have heat except the wood stove but the blowers wouldn't work. three days is pretty long to be without power. Hope you didn't have an damage to pipes.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » January 24th, 2019, 9:57 pm

No the pipes were OK as it wasn't that cold outside and I live in an older house that is insulated well. I had to drive down to my farm and get my generators and had them back in time to watch the Chiefs playoff game (missed the first couple of plays). I was also able to plug in some electric space heaters to keep the house reasonably warm. I did have to use some dry ice to not lose my freezer contents until I could get one of my bigger generators running for that.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » January 25th, 2019, 9:17 am

Good thing you had those generators. At least you had some power and some heat. How big are your generators?

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » January 29th, 2019, 6:06 pm

I have two 2000 watt inverter generators for running electronics that are 1700 running watts each (can be run in parallel to get 3400 running watts with 30 amps for a RV). I also have a 6500 watt generator for running motors and other non-sensitive electrical devices. It was purchased used and I had to do some work on the carb the day my power was out to get it running- it still runs the governor pretty hard so the lights flicker brighter and dimmer slightly when it runs.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » January 30th, 2019, 8:18 am

I've been looking at stationary generators. Waiting for them to run some special deals before we decide.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » February 1st, 2019, 11:21 am

Yeah, if you are talking about those Generac emergency automatic backup generators best to wait for a deal because they are as costly as buying a new car.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » February 1st, 2019, 12:12 pm

I have looked at them and they're not that bad. Generac had some good deals last year and I got some prices but held off. If we lost power for any length of time the repairs and damage would be a lot more.