Snake Bit Lab......

Train yo dawg
Tablerock
2018 Member of the Year

Snake Bit Lab......

Post by Tablerock » July 16th, 2004, 1:37 pm

Fellars... My female choc Lab got copperhead bit this morning about 8:30 a.m..... I noticed her acting funny and then realized her muzzle was starting to swell. After checking her out in good light, she had 2 fang marks, still bleeding, on her nose. Now, 3 hours later, her face is swollen about twice it's normal size. We called the Vet early on and he said all he would do is give her benedryl, which we already had,so we gave her the amount suggested by the vet. My guestion is, do any of you guys have a better idea on treatment? AND, how long is it going to take this dog to get back to normal ?? Hours? Days?? a week ??
Any input is appreciated... Thanks..... Image
Fish Amongst 'Em

oneshot
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Snake Bit Lab......

Post by oneshot » July 18th, 2004, 12:49 am

If she is still breathing ok,she should be ok in a couple days.Might want to watch the bite area for Infection.

I have Dogs get bit every so often by Rattlers or Copperheads.Haven't lost any yet.

oneshot
Image the Big Grin got bit on the Image made him Image

Tablerock
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tablerock » July 18th, 2004, 1:21 pm

Thanks Oneshot....It is now Sunday morning and you can't even tell anything happened to her. The swelling is 99% gone and she acts fine....I hope I bounce back that quick if I ever get bit.
Fish Amongst 'Em

bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bullitt » July 19th, 2004, 8:31 pm

Glad to hear your hound is better. Our airedale got bitten on the shoulder by a copperhead 3 yrs ago. she bounced back pretty fast, but she did lose the hair around the bite for awhile. It also cost a good deal more than benedryl!
I killed a copperhead in the driveway a few nights ago. When ya live on a limestone bluff on the river in the timber, ya have to expect a varmint or two!
Rehab is for quitters.