1970 #50 Bear bow..

For those of you who prefer traditional archery methods.
maw
2018 Member of the Year

1970 #50 Bear bow..

Post by maw » March 15th, 2004, 11:33 am

...I still have it! Havent got anything else to say, I just wanted to be the first to post.

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Re: 1970 #50 Bear bow..

Post by sharps4590 » March 15th, 2004, 8:17 pm

Ok all you trad archers out there, I suggested this forum and the webmaster jumped right on the wagon and put this forum up. Get in here and put up some posts! maw drew first blood so lets keep it flowing.

I'm sure many of those who post on here will be familiar with a lot of folks. I'll start the ball rolling by telling ya'll what I shoot. I have 4 trad bows. Two longbows, a recurve and a self bow. The self bow is hickory made by a good friend of mine and I was surprised at how well it shot and I could shoot it! I was greatly pleased. My two longbows are a Ben Pearson "Ol' Ben" 68, 60 lb. @ 28" and it has enough hand shock to rattle the fillings from your teeth. My favorite bow is my Hummingbird, Invisible Wings, 60", 55 lb. @ 27" built for me. It is as smooth a bow as I've shot. My only recurve is also a Ben Pearson, bought for nostalgic reasons, and is a Cougar, 64", 55 lb. @ 28". I haven't put it across my chrono yet but I believe it's almost as fast as my Hummingbird. I shoot only POC, homemade arrows with 5 1/2 shield cut, high backed feathers. Broadheads are Zwickey, 2 blade Eskimos at 125 gr. Anything inside 15 yards goes home as meat....outside that....well...the jury chooses on an individual basis.

Vic

I want tothank the webmaster for adding this forum. I also told him if it didn't garner much support to delete it as he saw fit, so waddaya say....let's keep this forum going!

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 16th, 2004, 10:30 am

Lrt me add my thanks to Management for adding this forum. Not many places where the traditional and modern archers are given separate places to post. I have three traditional bows, although I am a bit addicted to some modern contraptions like sight pins and a peep. My baby is a little 35 lb Black Widow of mid-70's vintage. It's a beautifully built takedown model that will probably never see the woods or a carp fishing boat. The second is an old Bear 76'er that I bought years ago and kept it around for nostalgic reasons. Now that bowfishing is back in the picture, it has been rigged out with a Saunders shoot through reel. At 45 lbs, it is about the heaviest recurve I can handle due to some arthritis in my left shoulder. The latest traditional bow is a Hoyt Hunt Master takedown. I got it cheap off eBay because the seller said it had a twisted limb. When the package came, it had no string and no limb attachment bolts, so I could not really tell what I had...just the riser and a pair of limbs. It appeared to have never been put together, and the upper limb had a printed sticker that simply said "twisted limb". The bow came from the Salvation Army in Salt Lake City, and that is where all Hoyt warranty work is done. I have some theories about how the SA came by the bow, but won't ever be able to prove it one way or the other. Anyway, I found some standard screws that fit the internal threads of the riser and got a string. When I assembled the bow and strung it, to my surprise the limbs fall straight and true. I cannot see any twist when the bow is drawn and let down again. It's strung and hanging by a couple of pegs in the basement to make sure it "sets" with the limbs straight...the only problem with this bow is that it has 60 lb limbs and I am certain I will not be able to draw and shoot it. If anyone knows of a Hoyt owner who has a lighter set of limbs and wants a heavier hunting set, I'm open for trades.
Now for some questions: first of all, Sharps4590, where do you get your shield cut feathers? Those are not generally available where I get my supplies, and a great little recurve like the Black Widow just don't look right with
parabolic vanes. I have gotten away from aluminum shafts and now shoot carbon fiber exclusively, but still think the dipped and crested shield feathers are the most beautiful arrows available, no matter what the shaft material is.
If things work out right, I hope to give in and take the Black Widow out for a turkey hunt this spring...it's not heavy enough (IMHO) for a deer bow, but a turkey is a few pounds lighter....so maybe! Maybe next time we can have a discussion about whether or not people who use pin sights and a wrist pull type mechanical release with a traditional style recurve bow can hope to go to heaven when they die.....
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » March 16th, 2004, 11:43 am

I'm outta sorts on traditional equipment. However, I do have a Browning recurve that I've been thinking about trying to get set up. all that is on it is some ripped felt. Any suggestions on how to get this thing set up??
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » March 16th, 2004, 7:07 pm

coyotewhacker...go to 3riversarchery.com I order virtually all my stuff from them. They have almost any fletch you might need....along with lots of other goodies!

ODF....I assume that the felt you mentioned is the shelf rest and/or plate. Again, 3riversarchery.com They have all the rests or plates you can imagine for your Browning or any other recurve or long bow. I use the sealskin for my longbow and recurve. You'll see it in their catalog or on their web site.

Both of you should go to tradgang.com or bowsite.com and look thru their links as there are many, many other trad archery suppliers out there. My son uses an outfit from Colorado and I can't remember the guys name or web site. I wasn't trying to send business solely to 3 Rivers, that's just who I use..... they do a good job!!!

Get those bows up and shooting!

Vic

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 16th, 2004, 8:51 pm

ODF...if you are close to Springfield, you can go to Bass Pro Shop and look on the display near the archery Pro Sho counter. They have both the shelf and the shooting window cover material to replace that on your Browning. I would avoid the place like the plague right now since they are having the Spring Fishing Classic, and several jillion flatland tourists make the place look like somebody kicked a fireant hill. It ends this Sunday, so it will be safe to return after the carnage is over. Good luck. And thanks to
Sharps4590 for the feather info.
Jake & Elwood Blue

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » March 17th, 2004, 10:57 am

Thanks for the info and links.

CW - I'm not real close to Spfld. now, but will be down there late spring/early summer. I used to live about 2 blocks north of BassPro, so I'm quite familiar with the cluster-"f" they call the Fishing/Hunting Classics!! Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 17th, 2004, 12:36 pm

ODF, I voted you up a mess of stars - it's about time you carried a rank around here Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » March 17th, 2004, 1:26 pm

Damn you man!! Image You wait till I get a trip planned to the Piney. I'll show you stars!! Image

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 17th, 2004, 1:44 pm

ODF....with the influx of flatland tourists in the summer, it doesn't improve much. Get in BPS before 10 am and it's not too bad. Once the tour busses from Branson and motor homes from Indiana start rolling in, keep your head down and get out of the store as quick as you can!
Jake & Elwood Blue

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » March 17th, 2004, 8:08 pm

Piney? You know Born Bad and I live in the same town but haven't had the privelege of meeting.....whatcha gonna fish for on either Piney? "Sharps would be rather fond of casting a fly and does it frequently on both Pineys!"

Vic

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 18th, 2004, 8:55 am

Bornbad is easy to spot on the Bpiney - long haird hippie looking feller running (ok, walking real fast) along the banks asking if you have sceen an empty canoe float by Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » March 18th, 2004, 11:48 am

I haven't gotten back to either Pineys in a couple of years. Used to get down there several times a year to fish the Pineys or Roubidoux. Maybe this year I'll break my fishing drought down there and make a trip.
I normally pack flyrod and an ultralight or two.

LMAO @ BornBad and his "tomb of the unknown canoer"!! Image

lonepine
2018 Member of the Year

Post by lonepine » March 18th, 2004, 1:11 pm

glad too see this forum, I have a 50# Fred Bear, still got some cedar arrows,tip with black diamonds.still hunt with it. some times you just have too put the Matthews down.
BATV-the old man