??

He shoots... He scores!!!
Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

??

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 1st, 2005, 10:37 am

I've got a couple of older bows and a buddy gave me some bowfishing attachments. Since I've got all the parts, I'm going to set up a cheap outfit and shoot some this spring/summer to decide if I want to put $$ into a bigger/better setup. So I gots some questions for you. How do you fix up an older recurve with no holes or mounting plates to hold a bowfishing reel? Is it safe to tap a hole in this bow without comprimising structural integrity (read: having the dam thing snap apart in my face).
This is a pretty nice older recurve (Browning bow, I think). But I've also got a an older Bear compound that I could use for bowfishing, if messing with the recurve will fornicate it up. Which bow should I use initially?
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Re: ??

Post by hobiecat » April 1st, 2005, 11:14 am

Drillin a hole in the recurve will most certainly f- it up. Don't f-up the recurve. Use the old compound.
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 1st, 2005, 11:28 am

Do they have attachments that go around the recurve to avoid the need for holes? I've heard that recurves are good for bowfishing, but I don't want to f-up this bow. I don't shoot it much. I thought setting it up for bowfishing would be a way to shoot it more, but don't see the need to mess it up on a trial sport.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hobiecat » April 1st, 2005, 11:43 am

I don't bowfish so I don't know it they have attachments for the recurve or not. But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I can tell ya that if ya drill a hole in the recurve ya will f-it up for sure.
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 1st, 2005, 12:27 pm

Well I figgered that much out on my own...it ain't like I was gonna take the B&D to it. I've had a string break on me...last thing I want is a recurve snapping at full draw. Image But I'm guessing there is a way to work it.

Where the heck are the Moderators?? Image Image Image Image

I've already played with the compound some and got it figured out.

Robin@AimLow
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Robin@AimLow » April 1st, 2005, 4:40 pm

Actually you can drill out the recurve and put a stabilizer sleeve in it. People do it, but I don't know a lot about it, and haven't seen your bow.

You can buy reel seats specifically made for this situation though. I believe they tape onto the bow. Check out www.sulysbowfishing.com for those.

Nothing wrong with using an old compound either, other than it is probably heavy as heck.

If you go out and shoot some fish, you will spend the $$ on a good set up in a heartbeat.

swmoDukR
2018 Member of the Year

Post by swmoDukR » April 1st, 2005, 8:45 pm

It's addictive that's for sure. Started out last year shooting a old Bear Whitetail and got ahold of a Alpine this year only because I wanted something with a little more umph for the deeper fish. The bear still goes with me as a back up.

Don't know anything about recurve's but like Robin said I know they make a bracket for a reel that tapes or probably hose clamp then tape on.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 4th, 2005, 9:54 am

WTF?? Double posting mo-fo.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 4th, 2005, 9:54 am

Thanks guys!

Robin - The old compound really isn't too heavy. It's a Bear Whitetail. Heavier than the recurve, but it's pretty light for an older compound. "Taped" on? Image Not sure that seems like a good idea after seeing some of the fish you boys have stuck. I get the feeling some big fish would have my arrow, string AND reel! Image Guess it's better than him having the bow too though. Image

I think I'm going to use the compound for now. If I get hooked on this, I'll probably get rid of the compound set up and put a better system on the recurve. Right now it's just an itch that needs scratching. Image

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » April 4th, 2005, 6:15 pm

I'd say that you'd probably be better off scratching that itch that is coming from between your two asscheeks than going bowfishing.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

Robin@AimLow
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Robin@AimLow » April 4th, 2005, 10:31 pm

Oh ya, forgot to mention, if the recurve is drilled for a sight bracket, you can get a reel seat that attaches there. I used to use them. Again, check Sully's, he has them.