PUFFBALLS (LYCOPERDON spp. and CALVATIA spp.)

Mushroom hunting, mushroom eating, and all things Shroom.
hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

PUFFBALLS (LYCOPERDON spp. and CALVATIA spp.)

Post by hobiecat » April 13th, 2005, 11:42 am

PUFFBALLS (LYCOPERDON spp. and CALVATIA spp.)- Edible

Description: Depending on their size, puffballs have been mistaken at a distance for everything from golf balls to sheep.

These round or pear-shaped mushrooms are almost always whitish, tan or gray and have no stalks. The interior of a puffball is solid white at first, gradually turning yellow, then brown as the mushroom ages. Finally, the interior changes to a mass of dark, powdery spores, Size: 1" to 12" in diameter, sometimes larger.

When and Where: Late summer and fall; in lawns, open woods, pastures, barren areas. On soil or decaying wood.

Cautions: Each puffball should be sliced from top to bottom and the interior examined. It should be completely white and featureless inside, like a slice of white bread. There should be no trace of yellow or brown (which will spoil the flavor) and especially no sign of a developing mushroom with a stalk, gills and cap (see page 9). Amanitas, when young, can resemble small puffballs, but cutting them open will quickly resolve the question.

Cooking Hints: Remove outer skin if it is tough, then slice, dip in batter and fry.
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Re: PUFFBALLS (LYCOPERDON spp. and CALVATIA spp.)

Post by BornBad » April 13th, 2005, 12:45 pm

mistaken for sheep ? Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

micus
2018 Member of the Year

Re: PUFFBALLS (LYCOPERDON spp. and CALVATIA spp.)

Post by micus » April 13th, 2005, 7:41 pm

I'm afraid to follow that thought any farther.