Sulfur Shelf (Laetiporus sulphureus)

Mushroom hunting, mushroom eating, and all things Shroom.
hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Sulfur Shelf (Laetiporus sulphureus)

Post by hobiecat » April 13th, 2005, 11:53 am

Sulfur Shelf (Laetiporus sulphureus)- Edible

Description: These mushrooms light up the forest with their brilliant orange-red caps and pale sulfur-yellow pore surfaces. Some specimens fade to a peach or salmon color.

The sulfur shelf always grows on wood, usually in large masses of overlapping caps. It has no stem; the cap is attached directly to the wood. The pores are tiny.

Other names include chicken mushroom and chicken of the woods. Size 2" to 12" wide.

When and Where: Summer and fall; in clusters on living trees or dead wood.

Cautions: This is a distinctive mushroom with no poisonous look-alikes. It does cause a mild allergic reaction (swollen lips) in some people.

Cooking Hints: Cook only the tender outer edges of the caps; the rest is tough and woody. Slice and simmer in stock for 45 minutes, then serve creamed on toast.

When cooked, this mushroom has the texture and often the taste of chicken.
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Sulfur Shelf (Laetiporus sulphureus)

Post by BornBad » April 13th, 2005, 12:35 pm

I have seen those Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Sulfur Shelf (Laetiporus sulphureus)

Post by sharps4590 » April 13th, 2005, 7:49 pm

Wellll....I found one of these last year and it was Imageg fresh. We cooked it just like the instructions said and it was neither tender nor did it taste like chicken. Anybody got a better recipe for these and hen of the woods as I find them frequently.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing