Rock Bass

Information about panfish fishing in Missouri
Hunter91
2018 Member of the Year

Rock Bass

Post by Hunter91 » May 8th, 2005, 2:45 pm

Been wearing out the rock bass on Table Rock up to 13 inches. On grubs as we are bass fishing. anywhere between 4-15ft.

Ozark
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Rock Bass

Post by Ozark » May 9th, 2005, 4:36 pm

Yep, that's a good report. I was at Tablerock on 5/5 throwing a deep-running crankbait, and started coming up with BIG goggleyes (rock bass).

I switched over to a 1/4 oz. jig and tore 'em up. I had to call my wife and get her to call Conservation to find out what the limit is. (It's 15) I've never had any reason to know the limit on those before. Had them for supper last night and lunch today - good eating. I'm going again tomorrow - mostly for bass and crappie, but I hope the goggleyes are still biting too. That was fun.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » May 10th, 2005, 11:39 am

Their explosion in TR is interesting, because they're not a lake fish normaly. There's nothing wrong with them as a game fish, they get to a nice size and always seem to be hungary.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

Ozark
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Ozark » May 11th, 2005, 1:53 am

Hellbender - There have been some changes in both Bull Shoals and Tablerock since the white bass decline three years ago. I sure don't understand it, and I don't think Conservation does either.

The white bass population has dropped a lot, obviously. Crappie have increased a lot, in both places. I'd think that's because crappie are utilizing food that white bass are no longer getting, but that doesn't explain the increase of goggleyes (rock bass) in Tablerock. The ones I'm catching are full of crawdads, and that's sure not white bass food.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » May 11th, 2005, 12:19 pm

I've heard that the large increase coincided with the LM virus. That may be just a rumor, but I suppose if they were a major food source, at some time during the year, the decline in LM might have given them a chance to get ahead of the game. At any rate they are where they belong as a native White river fish.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain