Gulf Fishing

Catch-all for all other types of fishing...
oneshot
2018 Member of the Year

Gulf Fishing

Post by oneshot » June 9th, 2005, 12:20 am

What kind of tackel do you need fishing from shore for Speckled Trout and Redfish?

oneshot
Image Once again the Big Grin sees road trip.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Gulf Fishing

Post by coyotewhacker » June 9th, 2005, 10:34 am

Oneshot....specs and reds are really two different kinds of fishing if your are after the bigger reds. Trout can be handled easily with normal freshwater gear used for bass, walleye, or small cats. They tend to be between 2 and 5 lbs until the big sows come in from the Gulf in the winter to spawn. Then it can be serious fun on light gear. Redfish on the other hand are known for being brawlers, and on average are considerably bigger than trout. If you are inshore fishing for them, (in the marshes along the Gulf)it would be a good idea to stick with baitcasting or spinning gear suitable for catfishing up here. Most of the guys who fish for reds in the lower delta of the Mississippi use long handle rods for leverage (a pistol grip rod will have you running to the ER for a brace after one fight), minimum 20 lb line, and 7 to 8 foot medium heavy action rods that have plenty of backbone. If you are confined to fishing from shore, depending on where you are, try to find a long dock going out into the Gulf....the specs like to cruise the shallows looking for shrimp. Reds can be caught in the same water using plastic jigs, jerk baits, and live crabs if you can find them. To take full advantage of fishing for reds, you really should hire a guide with a boat and fish the estuary waters....those guys know where the fish are and what they are biting on. The same goes for specs....the professional guides make their living by knowing the best holes, and can consistently put their clients on fish.
A relatively inexpensive way to come home with a cooler full of fish filets is to spend the day on a "party boat" that provides everything you need...gear, bait, lunch, etc.
Those guys go out into the Gulf and fish over reefs and wrecks, and target black grouper, red grouper, sharks, etc.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

oneshot
2018 Member of the Year

Post by oneshot » June 9th, 2005, 11:25 am

Thanks coyotewhacker we are thinking about Grand Isle La. on a shoestring.Wife is really interested because of Camping and fishing,two things that she enjoys.

I checked into the Guided Boats I think she would have fun with that.

Like I say thanks again.It will probably be next year got way too much going on at this time.Wife is working 80-90 hours a week,she will be ready for a vacation.

oneshot

Image The Big Grin is surprised they will let oneshot back in La. after last time.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » June 10th, 2005, 8:07 pm

You will absolutely LOVE Grand Isle. You can wade fish all along the beach, plus they have a long pier that goes way out into the Gulf. It's been years since I was there, and probably lots of changes, but folks used to take their campers and tents and set up right on the beach. Better take some stout gear, however. You have a shot at specs, maybe a redfish or two, plus the occasional jack cravelle that will give you a ride to talk about all the way home.

Just hope the hurricanes don't tear the place up this summer. Let me know when you decide to go down...the sheriff of Union Parish (where US 167 enters LA from Ark) is a real good friend of mine. I can probably get you a two or three night free stay in the public facility he operates.

They tell me the chain gang is not near as bad as it used to be.

For the trout you will want to get some "popper corks", which I've never seen up here. They are big, weighted floats with a dished out top, so that when you pull the line sharply, the top will "pop" or chug in the water , just like a bass topwater plug. And remember....those trout have fangs.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue