You gotta be kiddin' me...

Catch-all for all other types of fishing...
sptsman
2018 Member of the Year

You gotta be kiddin' me...

Post by sptsman » April 1st, 2004, 10:58 am

I just got a fishing flyer in the mail from Bass Pro. On the cover are fishing shoes!! You gotta be kidding me? They want $69.99 for a pair of friggin' fishing shoes...

I can see it now... "Yeah, I found the fish and managed to get enuf in the boat but I have to give credit where credit is due. These new fishin' shoes I got from Bass Pro really gave me the edge I needed to win this tournamant..."

Are there people really dumb enuf to buy these? Image Image Image

powerdive
2018 Member of the Year

Re: You gotta be kiddin' me...

Post by powerdive » April 1st, 2004, 11:28 am

sptsman, ever been to a big tournament? Check out all the techwear--the zip-off nylon cargo pants, the flats-style quick-dry 10-pocket shirts, the waterproof/breathable hats and caps, the $140 sunglasses with the snugger cords, the $400 Gore-Tex rainwear, and yes, even the quick-dry deck-gripping footwear. Folks really do go for this stuff; it's a uniform, almost, to go with the flashy boats. Should something like that be on the cover? That might depend on things other than core value... such as sales trends, geographic market, markup percentage/loss leader appeal. Bizness goes on... but the bottom line is, if it doesn't sell, you can bet it won't be there next time. But surely you don't want the same old stuff staring you in the face every month, do you?

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » April 1st, 2004, 12:03 pm

Hey PD....if you and Mr. Morris were to be real nice and fix me up with a new boat, maybe one of those nice big tournament rigs, you can put my mug on your next cover. I doubt it would help sales any, but millions of BPS customers would certainly get a chuckle out of it. Image
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

sptsman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sptsman » April 1st, 2004, 1:02 pm

and yes, even the quick-dry deck-gripping footwear.

Yes, I have been to some big tournaments and even fished in some that had all those folks... I get a huuuuge laugh at watching them hide their baits and put on their show for everyone... But dayum, I don't ever remember slipping on my deck and thinking I needed some "deck-gripping footwear"

I know darn good and well that BPS would not be advertising and selling this stuff if they didn't know that there were thousands of saps out there willing to part with their money. I just find this to be about the funniest damn thing I've seen in while...

I'd love to hear from anyone that owns a pair of these (and is willing to admit it publically). Why? Do you have a lot of trouble slippin' on your deck and falling out of the boat? Do they allow you feet to get a good grip on the deck and really set that hook firmly? Please explain...

It appears PT Barnum was right after all... Image

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » April 1st, 2004, 1:09 pm

I bet Mobuck has a two pairs. Image
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

powerdive
2018 Member of the Year

Post by powerdive » April 1st, 2004, 1:18 pm

sptsman - Of course there are a buncha those folks out there. They help pay the way for guys like you and me!!!

CW, get in line. Behind ME, if you please... Image

TOS
2018 Member of the Year

Post by TOS » April 1st, 2004, 2:05 pm

I bet Mobuck has a two pairs. Image

Maybe three. If it can be purchased, and is something I have never seen before, chances are he has had it for at least a year or two. Image

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » April 1st, 2004, 4:24 pm

Image Image Image

bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bullitt » April 4th, 2004, 10:14 pm

Can you get 'em in watermelon or tequila sunrise? Image Image
I did buy a pair of the leather top/rubber bottom boots from Wally World for $15, and they work great to fish in. Especially when it rains, much drier than my tennies.
Rehab is for quitters.