Coyote....Sept.14

Information about hunting predators in Missouri
Swampbird
2018 Member of the Year

Coyote....Sept.14

Post by Swampbird » September 14th, 2005, 1:47 pm

After a poor start with 4 dry setups in thick cover under windy conditions, I decided to go to a ridgeline that borders a floodplain so the calls could get out over the foliage.
Setup with the Foxpro about 20yds upwind pointing toward the floodplain. There was a valley that dropped off into the bottom and would be the easiest route for anything responding.
Set-Up
Turned on the Baby-Cottontail-Distress on low volumn and set back to wait. After a 2-3 mins, I turned the volumn up just a little and returned to 'wait-mode'.
Caught movement just above the slope of the hill where the valley comes up to the ridgeline. Tan body with dark back said coyote. He disappeared and I swung the rifle to the opening ahead of him. He was stalking slow with his head out looking in the direction of the caller for the rabbit he heard but wasn't seeing.
He stepped into the clear and I squeezed the squeeker and he turned to look. The Ruger spat lead and the coyote went down.
The coyote can be seen through the brush laying in the shadows. That's close!
Coyote Down
Young male with a nice tan/gray coat that is prime for summer conditions.
Tan & Gray Coyote
...I'd like to go to heaven, but I've gotten use to hanging with this crowd...

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Coyote....Sept.14

Post by Warmouth » September 15th, 2005, 12:23 pm

How often do you hunt, and how much land? public or private?
Thaks for the pic's again.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Swampbird
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Coyote....Sept.14

Post by Swampbird » September 15th, 2005, 12:40 pm

I work with the newspaper and am usually through between 4:30-5:45 so I can be in the woods at or shortly after sunup around 7:00. I'll hunt according to the wind direction and wheather or not I've hunted that area within a week or so.

I hunt private land, a hunt club and WMAs if the populations warrent my time....
...I'd like to go to heaven, but I've gotten use to hanging with this crowd...