Jug Fever

Information about catfish fishing in Missouri
Forsythian
2018 Member of the Year

Jug Fever

Post by Forsythian » June 29th, 2004, 10:56 am

Howdy...
I'm headin to Buck Creek/125 this weekend and I'm looking to do a little jug fishin... I hate dragging the old clorox bottles around, so this week I want to put together about 10 of those pool noodle jugs. If anybody has a good recipe they want to share I'd appreciate it, thanks!
Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Jug Fever

Post by Warmouth » June 29th, 2004, 11:39 am

respectfuly stolen from Coyotewhacker:

buy the thick noodles and cut into 1/3 sections.

buy 2 washers per section, 6 per noodle, and a can of spray insulation.

after cutting noodles, put washers in the hole at each end, and run your line through the hole, and tie it so the line runs through the middle and along the outside of the noodle. i tied a swivel to the tag end of the line, so that i can unwrap a few feet of line, slip line into the swivel, and pull tight to set at appropriate depth.

spray foam into the middle so it seals up the hole.

i used 20' of line, and attached a hook, wrap the line around the noodle and burry the hook point into the noodle. you can attatch weight where you need it, either ahead or below the hook. tie loops into the mainline if you want more hooks per jug.

don't forget name tag.

if you make the swivel/ line stopper at the far end of the noodle (3-4" from the end) when a fish is on it will stand up and is easy to tell when a fish is on.

good luck
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » June 29th, 2004, 12:59 pm

I ran 3/8" Poly rope through 1/2" fender washers (Lowes)with a knot on one end and a loop on the other. I sprayed enough foam in to each end to secure the rope. I wrote my name on them with a magic marker. I bought everything but the washers from Wal-mart at Branson West.
I used circle hooks, 4/0's from Wally's, to prevent swallowing.
Swamplver did a good description of buliding them a year or so ago on the CC forum. I found it on a search and used it as a guide when I built mine.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

swmoDukR
2018 Member of the Year

Post by swmoDukR » June 30th, 2004, 10:49 am

Posted a reply to you over at the Cafe' Ken. DaveT and HellBender has hit the nail on the head now heres some pictures of what to somewhat expect. You'll also notice I have put some reflective tape around the end which helps out tremendously in trying to locate them in the dark :p. If you don't want to mess with making them I have about 40 of em and your more than welcome to take a dozen or two.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » July 2nd, 2004, 12:18 am

Must be another Coyotewhacker out there, boys. I have made some deer feeders, but never anything like this because I am not into cats. Looks like a great substitute for a milk jug, though. Sorry I can't take credit for this one.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

cook
2018 Member of the Year

Post by cook » July 2nd, 2004, 8:23 am

For once I can tell my wife I'm looking at pics of JUGS online without lying!!

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » July 2nd, 2004, 12:44 pm

I labeled mine, but do you have to if you stay with them??
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

davemo
2018 Member of the Year

Post by davemo » July 4th, 2004, 2:53 pm

Here is a pic of the jugs we use on the missouri river another pic of it is in my photo album [image]www.outdoormissouri.com/ubb/member_phot ... ss=&sort=1[/image]

swmoDukR
2018 Member of the Year

Post by swmoDukR » July 4th, 2004, 9:02 pm

Here ya go Dave. It didn't show up in your reply.

davemo
2018 Member of the Year

Post by davemo » July 4th, 2004, 10:20 pm

thanks swmo yep i was fighting trying to get the pic to load i dont know what i did wrong but you must ! ! ! ! Image Image Image Image

swmoDukR
2018 Member of the Year

Post by swmoDukR » July 4th, 2004, 11:14 pm

Just went to your album, click on the picture to bring it up, then right click on picture and click on properties. Highlighted the URL and copied it. Then coded [img]pasted%20url%20here[/img]. and there you have it.

What kinda jug is it???? Figuring it used for waters w/ current.

davemo
2018 Member of the Year

Post by davemo » July 5th, 2004, 12:03 pm

Actually its a piece of 4x4 wood block. On the missouri conventional jugs like 2 litre soda bottles and such tend to really get blown around by the wind and passing boats; and if a barge happens to whack one well its chances fer survival are slim. The 4x4 is also easy to retrieve with a fish on it plastic is somewhat slick after a big ole cat sounds with it a few times,also the weight of the wood tends to wear the cats out quicker .I havent tryed the noodle jugs altho they do look interesting fer sure Image

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 26th, 2005, 4:32 pm

I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear