???? rod and reel combo's

Information about catfish fishing in Missouri
safetybass
2018 Member of the Year

Re: ???? rod and reel combo's

Post by safetybass » March 30th, 2004, 10:48 pm

DR, Kutter has a point. Baitcasters can be mastered, and have some serious advantages to anyone working on serious fish. The key to a baitcaster is having someone who knows how to use one teach you, and then you practice. I still use spinning tackle for some things, but I will never give up my baitcasters. My greatest concern with my baitcasters is making sure they don't jump out of the boat without me when I'm around catfish.

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 31st, 2004, 12:15 am

I may just get one to learn with then. Sounds to be a good turn if I was to get it and atleast try to learn how to use one.
I see a baitcaster comeing into my takle very soon.

DoniphanRedneck
Accuracy is everything.. live by it, eat by it..
--Bugger off you dried up old codfish--

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » March 31st, 2004, 12:27 am

Doniphan, cat maxx as well as tidewater make some nice spinning reels more then acceptable for cat fishing.
Spinners and baitcasters both have their places. The only real advantage of a baitcaster(certain types anyway) is the bait clicker and being able to evenly freespool line off the reel in swift water.
Bait caster birdnest even at the best of times with the most experianced casters. But spinners also have the nasty tendancy to allow a dozen loops of line slip off at the most inopportune moments.
I use both types for cats myself though i probably favor bait casters more now days, especialy for bigger cats.

For bait casters you've got a choice of level winds or non level winds. For a beginner id definitely suggest a level wind reel, fewer problems learning it's use.

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swamp_Fox » March 31st, 2004, 1:04 am

shakespear ugly sticks were meant for the unorganized, uncoordinated clutz

Do you mean that an Ugly Stick will put my bait where I want it even if I screw up?
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

cook
2018 Member of the Year

Post by cook » March 31st, 2004, 8:45 am

fyi-penn makes a spinning reel with the freespool feature-not sure if it has the clicker
Think Diawa has one called thr baitrunner also?

Kutter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Kutter » March 31st, 2004, 8:24 pm

Shimano has the baitrunner, Cook. Silstar makes an identical one but from cheaper materials. Both handle about the same.

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » April 1st, 2004, 2:01 pm

they cant help you there swampy, but atleast you can be less carefull with em as far as stompin on em or pokin em up through a ceiling fan Image Image. they just don't have enough back bone in them, and are quite heavy for a rod. compared to my graphites, they just feel sloppy.
Ain't gonna break, ain't gonna bend, we're just carryin on!

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 26th, 2005, 4:36 pm

I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear