Taneycomo Fly Fishing

Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
RB
Admin Team

Taneycomo Fly Fishing

Post by RB » March 15th, 2004, 11:51 am

Do any of you guys fly fish on Taneycomo. We are going Wednesday and last year fly rods were all we used. Mostly jig and float from a boat. We also wade fish below the dam. I use a 5-6wt rod from St. Croix. Got it in Wisconsin at their factory store. Its a great rod. Just wanted to be first to post here.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Taneycomo Fly Fishing

Post by Hellbender » March 15th, 2004, 6:13 pm

Don't forget your Cracklebacks.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » March 16th, 2004, 2:29 am

10 ft hev action catmaxx with 20lb test on a tidewater 30la is the only way to rainbow fish. Course thats useing them as bait rainbow...lol

Went once to taneycomo years ago, tornadoe liked to of drowned us and sucked us off the lake...lol
Used to do a fair bit of fly fishing down below bennet springs and LOTs of fly fishing for large mouths, brownies and perch. Need to dig all my fly gear back out.

Dad worked with an old boy fished primarily below the dam almost every weekend, caught a LOT of trout. Fished up in the lake some as well, primarily with his flyrod as well, did ok.
But when they were tight lipped and did'nt want to bite he broke out his secret weapon. Velveta cheese. That was always good for a limit at bennet springs to..lol

There was an article here about a month ago(MO Game and Fish i think it was) covering the browns. Talked about a 30+ pound brown trout comeing out of either the upper end of Como or right below powersite, can't remember which now.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » March 16th, 2004, 10:47 am

Hellbender, one of our guys ties flies and he has made a bunch of everything. We will try midges, crackles and soft hackles along with micro jigs. I have only been fly fishing for a couple of years and not real good at it but its fun. Wolfie, you ought to get back into it. What's this you admiting you fished for scaly vermin.

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » March 16th, 2004, 3:03 pm

Got to fish for BAIT to use for REAL fish rainbow...lol I love fly fishing, got to teach my oldest how now, she wants to learn. I just almost broke down at Bass pro and bought me another fly tieing setup but id spent to much already...lol
I used to go down to bennet springs on a wed and do a lil trout fishing during the summer, no crowds. Broil em with butter and leamon. Used to spend a lot of time flyfishing the streams for brownies and bluegills as well.
Dropping a dry fly into the middle of a bluegill bed or a 2 inch plastic worm with about a 4lb leader is a lot of fun as well. Got to find my creel, got all my flies, poppers, reels ect in it. Looked last fall but the girls seem to of put it up and now have forgotten where they put it for safe keeping. At least i know where my rods are...i think...lol

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 16th, 2004, 9:45 pm

Wolfie...I been pulling your chain enough today...better try do be nice. How 'bout this: I have an extra fly tying vise (notice the spelling) that is not being used any more. It has a little rust on the head, but that can be cleaned up. It holds a hook fine. The price is right..it's yours if you want it. Probably have a bunch of extra tying materials that I would include to seal the deal. You're on your own for bobbins and such. Those are in short supply around here.
However, this will work great unless you plan on tying the really small hooks in the 20/22 sizes. Next time we fish the same waters I will bring it along for your inspection.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 26th, 2005, 4:43 pm

I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear