changing trolling motor

Rods, Reels, lures, line, etc.
Tablerock
2018 Member of the Year

changing trolling motor

Post by Tablerock » September 30th, 2004, 2:54 pm

I'm getting ready to remove my old 12 volt trolling motor and replace it with a 12 / 24 volt trolling motor. My boat isn't pre-wired for a 24 volt system. I understand the hook-ups in the battery compartment but I'm not sure what I need up front at the bow panel. From the schematic I got from motorguide it looks like I'll still just need two wires running from the battery compartment to the bow panel. I was under the impression, for some reason, I was going to have to run one or two more wires from battery compartment to bow panel. Maybe I was just dreaming..? Anybody ever done this type of change-out ? Oh yeah, how about the plug and receptecle? I noticed some have two pins, some have 3 pins, and some nowdays even have 4 pins..... Image
Fish Amongst 'Em

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Re: changing trolling motor

Post by coyotewhacker » September 30th, 2004, 3:33 pm

Marty....check your e-mail. Complete explanation just went out to you. All you will need "extra" is a single jumper wire to connect the + of one battery to the - of the other.
You can use the same plug you are now using from your old Tracker t/m, and it will already match up perfectly with the panel plug. With the jumper cable installed, you will instantly have 24 volts where the motor plugs in. If you watch which side of the plug has the red wire and which has the black wire, and make sure those match up with the new Motorguide, it should work the first time. If you are like me, it won't....naturally, but it should. Good luck
CW
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

Tablerock
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tablerock » September 30th, 2004, 3:50 pm

Thank you CW....I finally went out and removed my bow panel and did some looking around in the battery compartment. It's going to be easy. I was just trying to make it difficult, and it isn't....
Fish Amongst 'Em

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 26th, 2005, 4:47 pm

I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear