Beginning trapper

Information about trapping in Missouri
Richard
2018 Member of the Year

Beginning trapper

Post by Richard » November 21st, 2005, 7:43 pm

I am new to trapping, I would love to have someone near by that could show me how to properly skin what ever I catch. Coon,Bobcat,fox,yotes.I live in Barton county. I know I'm gonna get a lot of replies for this but I'd be willing to pay in beer. Image
Live life as it were your last

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Beginning trapper

Post by Warmouth » November 22nd, 2005, 12:02 pm

http://www.trapperman.com

Musk scents work well on bobcats, coyotes and fox. Could throw in muskrats, beaver, and otters.

Meat or bait will work on coons, possum, muskrats, and ocasionally fox or yotes.

Late Dec and Jan is the rut time for preditors, and the musk scents seems to be the most successful attractant acording to the trappers I know. I'll be using that as my main attractant for bobcats this yr.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » November 22nd, 2005, 12:52 pm

dave - That's some great information. Really. Image But what does it have to do with SKINNING the critters?

muzz - If you don't have any replies to help and want to wing it, check out info from MDC. If you do a search on MDC's website it'll provide some articles and pamphlets on skinning and tanning hides. If you get over to Spfld, stop by the Nature Center and ask them for any pamphlets on skinning/tanning. I picked up some awhile back and they seem pretty simple to read and follow. Some of the materials needed for tanning can be tough to locate initially. You can also pick up/order some books on skinning and tanning fairly reasonable at book stores. You might also check out the trapping area on conservation cafe. There used to be some trappers hanging out over there.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » November 22nd, 2005, 1:06 pm

Alright, there are two ways to skin for sale.
The proper way is to make cuts from the anus to the heels on the back legs and peel the skin off from back to front. You need the right size stretching boards that fit inside the skin (with hair side on the inside, also the stretching board is the shape of a ironing board surface, but fit to the size of the skin). After the skin on on the board scrape the hide and treat the skin with either a brain tan solution or a store bought concoction.

The hillbilly way is to go up from the anus to the chin, and make cuts down the inside of each leg. Tack the hide to a sheet of plywood or whatever is big enough, and scrape and treat the hide then.

Market trappers use the top version.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » November 22nd, 2005, 3:14 pm

Now see, that wasn't difficult, was it? Image But leave it to a city boy to specify the "right" way v. the "hillbilly" way. Image

You could say there are 2 "right" ways depending on what you intend to do with the skins. If you are doing them for yourself or to sell for wall hangings, or laying flat, then the "hillbilly" way is just fine...and some buyers prefer flat hides. I think the "hillbilly" way generally provides for a better and more uniform stretching of the hide because it's one flat piece. But dave is right that a lot of buyers prefer the "whole hide" or "right" way. All depends on who is going to use them and how they want them prepared.

I've tried my hand at tanning some hides, primarily deer, at home using methods obtained from MDC publications with fair results. Some day, when time allows, I'll try my hand at it again.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » November 22nd, 2005, 4:31 pm

I've done some coyotes the hillbilly way, because I don't have stretch boards laying around, and I didn't like it near as much. With the stretch board, you can go ahead and open them up later if you want.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » November 22nd, 2005, 4:51 pm

I've got a muley hide in the freezer I've been thinking about screwing up. Just haven't gotten around to it. I learned last time that it's something you need to tend to and watch over and with a 6 year old running around the house...well, let's just say I got my hands full as it is. Probably going to take the hide over to a family friend that does taxidermy and see what he'll charge. He did my antelope hide (hillbilly style) and it came out good.

Richard
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Richard » November 22nd, 2005, 5:54 pm

Well for some stupid reason the land owner says he don't want me trapping his beaver or otter.I'd think he'd want those tree munchin rodents off his place.
Live life as it were your last

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » November 22nd, 2005, 6:10 pm

He'll regret his decision on the otters in a year or two....then he'll be paying you to come get those otters!

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » November 23rd, 2005, 10:23 am

Otters are bringing close to $100.

They are fish killing machines too. Fuggin murder'n bastards. If they find a good fishin hole, they'll catch fish for the fun of it and just eat the brains, and leave the rest onthe bank. Image