Muskies & Northern Pike

For those who enjoy chasing the elusive toothy ones!
hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Muskies & Northern Pike

Post by hunting170 » June 30th, 2005, 2:33 am

Anyone on here have any tips/suggestions for fishing in the International Falls, MN area? It seems like the northerns that I see caught on the Outdoor Channel will bite on just about anything. I really think my best chance would be to take my bowfishing rig, and do a little sight fishing. I`m open for suggestions so fire away.
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Muskies & Northern Pike

Post by Warmouth » June 30th, 2005, 10:41 am

Steel leaders, big bucktail spinners, spoons, and jerk baits. I'd string up 20lb+ line for a dedicated pike/muskellunge rod.

Good luck, but don't forget the smallmouth, walleye, and trout. myself.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

powerdive
2018 Member of the Year

Post by powerdive » July 5th, 2005, 10:41 am

Most of the lakes around IF have stained water, which limits weedgrowth. Find any decent patch of cabbage weed, you can buzz big Mepps spinners over the weedtops and have a field day. Long rock fingers adjacent to deeper water (the kind the gulls hang out on) can be great for parallel cranking, catching northerns and some bonus big smallies... For a shot at a big muskie, I'd target slab-rock bluffs with big jerkbaits. Crowrock Inlet off Redgut Bay on the Canadian side of Rainy has some nice water, with some deep timber too.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » December 13th, 2005, 9:24 pm

Okay, I'll play your little game.

Muskies & Northerns have big ol' honkin' teeth.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » December 14th, 2005, 10:59 am

I've just been slaying them at Pomme. Tearing it up, 42", 45", and 46" were my best yesterday, but I could only stay out for 45 minutes or so.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » December 14th, 2005, 11:31 am

You don't even fish. I was using 14" trout for bait, and a 0/6 circle hook. Image

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » December 14th, 2005, 11:43 am

I'd also like to note that pickerel are getting screwed here. Just because they're smaller than pike & musky doesn't mean that they aren't important, too. We all know how important 2B, Limbshot, and Dave are to this board. It's kinda the same deal.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » December 14th, 2005, 12:13 pm

I agree with Rafe. I've caught a few of them pickerels too.