River Run scouting trip

Information about walleye fishing in Missouri
Forsythian
2018 Member of the Year

River Run scouting trip

Post by Forsythian » January 16th, 2006, 1:40 pm

I had an hour or two Sunday evening, so I took a nice long walk in the river bed from Powersite - downstream... a couple of observations:

A guy could work that area with waders and a fly rod and catch some trout right about now! Felt soles would help though, it's pretty slick.

The middle of the channel is about as featureless as can be... I'm surprised I ever caught an eye out there, and I don't guess I'll spend much time out there in the future...

With the low water, now is a good time to get out a visualize the eddies, line up the scours, and line up where the limestone/gravel/sand transitions are. My only regret is forgetting my digital camera!

sure hope it rains
Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Re: River Run scouting trip

Post by Hellbender » January 16th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Which side did you do. I started to walk the south side a while back, but changed my mind. I visually checked a lot lies for Trout, but didn't see any.
Do you know the reason for scalping the north side of pothole? I assume that must be Empire property.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

Forsythian
2018 Member of the Year

Re: River Run scouting trip

Post by Forsythian » January 16th, 2006, 2:50 pm

I walked the North side...
They are putting in a bike/foot trail from Empire to Shadow Rock... it is a city/county collaboration funded by a DOT grant, but I'm not sure why they cleared out so much of that hillside(?) I'm guessing they're going to groom a bit of a park-area out of that spot.
I saw quite a few trout rising just before dark (and just before they started running water), but I didn't bring my waders with me.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.