Crappie 2 / 1

Share your fishing reports here
Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Crappie 2 / 1

Post by Duck Me Runnin » February 2nd, 2006, 10:35 am

A small front came through , and things slowed down accordingly.

All the way to the lake, I had to listen to my buddy tell me how he was gonna out fish me. So , since the bite was tough , I broke out the crappie nibbles. I was sneakin' 'em on to the jig without him knowing.

I caught 7 to his 1. Those nibbles CAN make the difference ! I didn't tell him about 'em until we were on our way home. Image
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

LadyAngler
<font color="#FF0000"><b>2008 Member of the YEAR</

Re: Crappie 2 / 1

Post by LadyAngler » February 2nd, 2006, 10:48 am

You sneaky SOB! Image Yes, we think the crappie nibbles can make a huge difference. As a wise man once said, "They're like a minnow on every hook."

Congrats on your success! Image
Anything you can do, I can do better.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » February 2nd, 2006, 11:15 am

Good job DMR. You might get nominated for fisherman of the year now.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » February 2nd, 2006, 11:47 am

I thought the nibbles were a gimmick when I first saw them. I couldn't have bee more wrong. Fishing side by side with one guy using nibble and the other a plain jig, will show a big difference in the catch rate. Heck, it's an item I won't hardly go without anymore.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Bruce Carpenter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Bruce Carpenter » February 2nd, 2006, 12:54 pm

i caught six last night on niblets on a jig and float in about 15 minutes, then the wind stopped and so did the bite! released them all and went home, but wait I think I have another bite!!

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » February 2nd, 2006, 1:49 pm

Bruce,

It seems like every time the wind lays down, it's OVER. Yesterday, the wind was strong enough that it was tough to keep a bait in " the zone " for long enough to get a sluggish crappie to bite. The breeze seems to be much more of a factor in this cold water than after it warms up a bit.

See ya Sat. Image

Dave,

I usually just use the nibbles when things are tough. That now seems kinda stupid. Why not get any edge you can ? Image

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » February 2nd, 2006, 2:47 pm

I always use them. There's no drawback besides the cost, and when you figger in the cost of every other fishing and outdoor equipment I have and use, they're too cheap to not take advantage of. After all, if I was worried about cost or expense, I'd be stuck with bank fishing with a cane pole.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » February 2nd, 2006, 3:11 pm

Zactly ! I have no idea how many of those little jewels are in a jar, but individually, they gotta be cheap.

Yesterday, I was makin 75' + casts in that wind. I'm amazed at how well they stay on a jig hook.

BTW, big bluegill seem to like 'em too. Image

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » February 2nd, 2006, 3:35 pm

Don't tell anyone Image but walleyes too. Image

You can make many repeated casts with those things, and casting for distance too, good stuff.

I can tell how lightly the crappies are biting too when I get a jig back to the boat and the nibble is missing...you know you missed one 'cause the suckers just don't fall off.

I haven't tried the other berkly attractants like the maggots, worms, etc. I would try them some time, but I'd feel like I was try'n to fix stuff that aint broke. Image