My Bad... Epoxy Bedding

I usually just stick more bullets in...

Moderator: scottwhitman

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

My Bad... Epoxy Bedding

Post by Swamp_Fox » March 17th, 2006, 8:25 am

So I ordered a new stock for my 300 WSM and got a .243 package gun that I put in the BVSS stock.
I tweaked the triggers and bedded both rifles. The improvement in group size was significant.

Then...
As my kids and I were shooting a postal competetion both rifles went south. Still minute of deer but no longer competetive shooters.
After checking reciever torque, tearing down the rifles and checking scopes and scope mounting I discovered that the epoxy was soft enough to imprint with my fingernail.
My thinking at this point is that the epoxy I used is soft enough to displace a tiny bit with each shot and the cumulative effect is that my lugs are no longer bedded.

The only up side is that I am planning on replacing both barrels and lugs in the next few weeks and will order proven bedding material instead of getting off the shelf marine epoxy.

Hopefully this little tale of woe will save someone from making the same mistake I made.
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: My Bad... Epoxy Bedding

Post by Warmouth » March 17th, 2006, 8:34 am

Good luck. Yep, they're shifting if you can indent the epoxy with finger pressure.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.