Colton's Steakhouse - Jeff City

Post a review of your favorite scarfin establishment
Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Colton's Steakhouse - Jeff City

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 15th, 2006, 3:38 am

A couple of disclaimers first...Colton's has only been opened about a month and we went on Mother's Day afternoon, so we were expecting a wait. Also, I spent most of my college years and weekends for a couple of years after college working at a gourmet dining establishment. As with most ex-wait staff I'm more observant/critical of service and food quality.

A wait was expected given that it was a new restaurant in town and we were going on Mother's Day, so was surprised when they told us 35 minute wait, especially since there was at least 20-25 people in line ahead of us. They seated us in about 45 minutes...but that is only because at least 3 parties were told 35 minutes, had already waited past 60 and left. Our wait would have been AT LEAST 60-75 minutes. Plenty of peanuts there to keep you occupied while waiting. Too many staff hovering around the front desk...at least 3 at all times and often 6. When you have people waiting for an hour or more, staff shouldn't be standing around in plain view talking.

Once inside, it took awhile before we saw our waitress and got our drinks ordered. However, from the point she took the drink orders, service was very good and timing of appetizers, salads, dinner was admirable given the crowd. Steaks were priced from about $16 - $20. For me, that's a little more than I like to pay for a steak at a chain restaurant. But food was very good, steaks were cooked as ordered...medium rare really was medium rare. A rundown of food we had:

Caesar salad - don't bother

Appetizers - like any other "western" style chain

Santa Fe Chicken - good...was topped with cheese, bacon, green onions and fresh sliced bell peppers and tomatoes and served with a "tangy sweet sauce" (which is zesty french dressing).

16 oz ribeye - better than average to very good. Nice mesquite grilled flavor without a lot of other BS spices.

Smoked ribs - good. Stricly smoked and served with BBQ on the side. Meat was tender, but not falling off the bone.

Blackened salmon - Very good....if/when I go back I'll have one of the salmon entrees.

Portions were fair.

Overall, I'd give the place an average. It was good, but nothing spectacular....after all it is just another chain steakhouse.

Mgmt. and front desk staff need lessons in customer service, restaurant etiquette and time estimating. Take a look around when you go in and you can estimate your wait better than they can. I think they were trying to give people a low estimate to keep them there...in the end, it cost them 3-5 tables that I know of. Waiting area inside is pretty small, but there are several benches outside...so go when you don't mind sitting outside.

Wait and kitchen staff - The one we had was very good. Ex-waitstaff can be some of the most critical/observant diners, but also some of the better tippers. Our waitress made almost 25%. Kitchen had the food timed right and it was hot when it arrived at our table. Coordination between waitress and kitchen was very good.

Food quality - Average to above average for chain style steakhouses.

Price - About average to a little high for what you get. 6 people, bill was about $160.

Oh yeah, and they also have that farce called "call-ahead seating". You can call in up to an hour before you'll be there and get your name on the list. I'd highly recommend doing this. Personally, I think it's a stupid idea...either take reservations or don't and make people wait in line when they get there. There were several issues over people being seated before others who had been waiting in line caused by call ahead seating.

Talked to one gentleman who arrived there at 11:00am and was told his wait would be 60-65 minutes. He said it was an hour and 45 minutes before they were seated and they were walking out of the restaurant as we arrived at 2:30. All I have to say is he has more patience than me...I will not take 3.5 hours to eat at a chain restaurant. That is unacceptable.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Colton's Steakhouse - Jeff City

Post by Duck Me Runnin » May 15th, 2006, 9:00 am

WTF ? Not many recent posts for you to disagree with, so you had to go find somebody else to crab about ? Image

Oh yeah, stay away from my truck and my grill at the Hodown. I'm notorious for making folks wait until well past my predicted time of servage, and I keep a hot spatula on the coals to thwart off hungry, disgruntled patrons that try to sneak vittles from the grill.

There are typically several other folks just loitering in the vicinity of my grill and smoker. They WILL NOT help you, or answer any questions. They will not fetch you a drink, give you information, or give one flyin' chit about your ability to critique a food service establishment.

I don't cotton to reservations, or call ahead seating. I don't pretend to care how far you travelled to get there, or how many folks are in your party. Image

Overall, I'd give myself a rating of fair to poor. It all depends on MY mood, the severity of my hangover, and how much YOU b!tch.

I believe you will find that your entire dining experience will qualify as, " unacceptable ", to use your terms.

But, you can't beat my pricing, you forkin' restaurant snob ! Image Image
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » May 15th, 2006, 9:07 am

Image Image Image
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 15th, 2006, 10:15 am

Bastage! Image Image

You'd have made a helluva maitre d' at the restaurant I worked at! Image

Hey, that WAS a favorable rating...considering how long it took us to get in there and eat at a forkin' chain restaurant. Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » May 15th, 2006, 10:25 am

YOU made the decision to go to a chain place, and then didn't get " personalized " service. Did you expect it not to get dark that night too ? Image

In the near future, how's about you go to a place you know yer not gonna like ? That should provide the rest of us with an interesting revue. Image

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 15th, 2006, 10:56 am

Oh no, I ain't taking the heat for choice of eateries. I was told where we was meetin' for mom's day...it was either show up or be disowned. If it was up to me, I woulda cooked mom a steak on the barbie and called it good. Going out to eat on Mother's Day just ain't one of the brightest ideas. Image

Trust me, I was kind compared to some of the comments I heard from people waiting in line.

Wait till you see my revue of DuckMeRunnin's cafe and bar....it should be out around the end of June. Image

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » May 15th, 2006, 11:01 am

You don't scare me. My lack of business has nothin' to do with the lack of repeat customers. Image

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » May 15th, 2006, 11:47 am

It's because of inconsitant operating hours, and drunkeness of the help, customers, and bystanders. That would be my guess.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swamp_Fox » May 15th, 2006, 11:41 pm

I'm takin reservations for Duck Me's kabobs.....

They will be ready in about 5 weeks. Image
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 16th, 2006, 5:29 am

Maitre d' Swamp - I'd like to make a reservation for 1 1/2. What is the required dress code for this hole?

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » May 16th, 2006, 5:32 am

If you aint wearing a bikini, you have to be fully clothed. That's the #1 rule.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 16th, 2006, 6:15 am

Image I can tell you right now I won't be wearing a bikini! Image But I heard 2B might be sporting his new Speedo. Image Image

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » May 16th, 2006, 5:28 pm

ODF, I am the sargeant at arms for DMR's establishment. We don't cotton to reviewers and the last one of you is still floating in the pond at Diggs. If you fish there don't eat the fish. DMR's food tastes like chit so you don't want any. Me and Swampy however will make a sacrifice and eat that swill. Double order of duck bobs for me Greg.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » May 17th, 2006, 2:25 am

Nice try LR, but I've already tried Mr. DMR's "swill" and for swill it ain't half bad! Image

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » May 17th, 2006, 3:31 am

" Not half bad swill " Now there's a standard I can achieve. Thanks, OF. Image