I got spooled

The place for fishermen (and women) to gather and BS
BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

I got spooled

Post by BornBad » June 3rd, 2006, 1:43 am

Hooked into whatever the mofo was while fishing soft plastics for bass yesterday. 'Thought I hit a snag and then my drag started playin a tune, tried to stay up with it on the trollin moter but I was not fast enough.

zzzzzzzzzzPOP! Dammit. Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Re: I got spooled

Post by Tigerhaze » June 5th, 2006, 3:49 am

Tough deal......with crankbaits and such I leave my drag set looser but that is tough to do on plastics where you want a good hookset. At least you know where to try again later.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » June 5th, 2006, 4:19 am

Last weekend, at the IL farm pond, I was pulling in a bunch of nice bass on soft plastics. I lost a monster that would've been about 7 lbs. or so, that didn't break the line, he just got off. But the next day, fishing very close to where I'd lost that one, I hooked what felt like a limb. It gave a lot of heavy resistance, but came steadily towards the boat. As it got closer, the form of a huge snapping turtle appeared. My kids saw it and about flipped out. My dad saw the head, but not the entire body. When it was about 5 yards away, it headed straight down. I pulled it back up a little, then it dove again, breaking me off. The turtle would've easily been 35 pounds. I was using 6 lb. line on a spinning reel.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Great White Hunter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Great White Hunter » June 5th, 2006, 6:30 am

Speaking of turtles, I set a couple of traps at my father-in-laws small lake (under 1 acre) and I pulled 3 snapping turtles and 8 other varities of turtles over 2 nights. I was surprised.
aka The Flake-a-nator

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » June 5th, 2006, 6:38 am

With one that was this size, I'm wondering how old it was. That SOB was probably swimming around in the lake when I was just a little shaver.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » June 25th, 2006, 2:56 am

Spooled thats interesting, what test line are you using?

kingfisher
2018 Member of the Year

Post by kingfisher » July 11th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Probably Blue cat or Sturgeon.