Ready for spring!

He shoots... He scores!!!
nitehunter
2018 Member of the Year

Ready for spring!

Post by nitehunter » December 14th, 2006, 12:16 pm

We just got back with our new bowfishing rig last weekend. It is a 20' fan boat made by Silver Dollar Boats. So far I really like it. It drafts really shallow, can run in a lot of new places with the fan setup and there is a lot more room on this boat than we had on our 17 footer. I cant wait to shoot some fish off of it.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Ready for spring!

Post by Tigerhaze » December 14th, 2006, 1:08 pm

I always thought it would be neat to have an airboat up this way; however I think I am going to go with an open floorplan hovercraft someday to get over those dry riffles!
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

nitehunter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by nitehunter » December 14th, 2006, 1:28 pm

A fan boat is a little different than what you are thinking of. Fan boats usually can't travel across land or at high speeds like airboats. The fans are usually powered by 20 to 30 hp small engines and are used in places where a trolling motor is not practical...shalow water, weed beds...stump fields,etc. Boat pics

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » December 14th, 2006, 1:58 pm

I thought you actually had an airboat (full-sized fan on back with elevated seat and controls) before I saw the pics. I don't think I have ever seen an airboat fan that small used on a boat that size. I actually purchased plans for small sized airboats- I thought about putting a fan/motor combination that size on my 14' aluminum jonboat. Is that a Vanguard motor- what HP? How well is it working for you- obviously it is not getting you on plane or even up to speed but probably works well as a trolling motor.

I actually am going to build me an open deck hovercraft once I build my shop and have some time! Image
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

nitehunter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by nitehunter » December 14th, 2006, 2:04 pm

It is a 22 hp Subaru Robin. No its not gonna plane out that is for sure. It is designed to push like a big troller.

fishin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishin » December 18th, 2006, 1:50 pm

I have never seen that before, it is really interesting.
"Now there's too many fools makin too many rules,
that's one thing you can't say about us."

Robin@AimLow
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Robin@AimLow » December 20th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Boat looks good. I have found little use for a fan up here, but you'll put it to good use at some point I'm sure.