Can't Catch a Break !!

Hosted by our own Duck Me Runnin, resident killer and cooker of everything and anything with fur, feathers or fins. This forum is for all our crazy, drinkin and fun lovin ducker buddies.
Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Can't Catch a Break !!

Post by Duck Me Runnin » July 28th, 2008, 5:35 pm

To our surprise, the river blind site we drew still had a structurally sound blind on it. It has 10 to 12 inches of mud on the floor, but it's still better than having to rebuild.

This past Sat., we were going to start mucking out the blind. By Thurs., the river was predicted to crest at 27' on Sat. That means a foot or three of water in the blind. ( maybe more than that )

We left the door of the blind open this time, and are hoping that the current will help us, instead of piling more crap in the blind.

With all the rain in N.E Mo., and the water they'll release from 'Twain, it might just get plenty ugly out there............ AGAIN !!!!

The blind is a doosie. 20' X 20 , including boat hide, with shooting platforms on the East, ( to kill divers on the main channel ) and on the the South, to kill birds in the slack water between our blind and the next island.

I won't even guess as to how many boatloads of brush it's gonna take to camouflage this beast. In this weather, it's gonna take a lot of beer and sweat.

If we had a smilie that had a beer in one hand, and was swattin' skeeters with the other, this would be the perfect place for it.
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Can't Catch a Break !!

Post by Tigerhaze » July 28th, 2008, 6:41 pm

Duck Me Runnin wrote:To our surprise, the river blind site we drew still had a structurally sound blind on it. It has 10 to 12 inches of mud on the floor, but it's still better than having to rebuild.

I won't even guess as to how many boatloads of brush it's gonna take to camouflage this beast. In this weather, it's gonna take a lot of beer and sweat.
So is this one going to be the reincarnation of the infamous "Crackhouse"? :wink: :lol:
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hobiecat » July 28th, 2008, 7:05 pm

DMR, who is "we"?
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » July 29th, 2008, 8:38 am

I have some brush you can have. I won't even charge you to cut it, hell just take as much as you want for free.

That sounds like a big azs blind, but in a decent spot. Good luck with it.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » July 29th, 2008, 3:34 pm

TH,

I'm not sure there will ever be another crackhouse. :no:

Hobbs,

You wouldn't know the other three registrants.

Dave,

The only brush you're allowed to cut from the islands is willows. They work, but they don't stand up to weather like some good pin oak brush will. If you have some of that, I'll take about 6 trailer loads. Just meet me at the boat ramp. :rotfl:

Hey ! We gots smilies again !! thumb2: :rockon:

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » July 30th, 2008, 8:06 am

Don't you duckers use rubber grass and fake palm trees to hide in?
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » July 30th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Only to hide from deer hunters, Dave, and that would prolly be overkill. :yes:

Creatures with an aerial view require more realism. :smokin:

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » July 30th, 2008, 6:25 pm

Duck Me Runnin wrote: Creatures with an aerial view require more realism. :smokin:
Is that why snow goose hunters use white plastic bags as decoys? :wink: :jmplgh:

Sorry, couldn't resist a jab on that one! :yes:

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » July 31st, 2008, 5:15 pm

It wasn't really much of a jab,at least not an informed one.

There are now so many adults in the snow goose population that the old trash bag, diaper, newspaper thing hasn't been effective for 10 or 15 years. You can get get 'em close enough to skybust, but rarely close enough to finish.

1000 adult goose eyes, hanging 90 yds. high in the wind will usually spot some flaws in your set-up. :mpeeper:

When a flock of several hundred DOES commit, it's one of the coolest things you'll ever experience. :yes:

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » July 31st, 2008, 5:58 pm

I really wouldn't know the proper tactics- where I live there will be 10,000 of them in a field. We just drive along the road to a neighbor's field and sneak over the hill. You can usually get a couple dozen with each shot before they all bust to a field in an adjacent county. :rotfl:

My brother and I have flown over Western MO in the winter with a small prop plane and you can see the flocks in the fields from 20 miles away, there's so many of them. :yes: