Doves?

Information about hunting small game in Missouri
Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Doves?

Post by Limbshot » September 3rd, 2008, 1:41 pm

Did anybody else dove hunt the opener? We went to a local CA and hunted. Got there what we thought was plenty early, but turned out otherwise. There were 2 small sunflower fields and both fields were already jam packed with guys when we got there at 4:30 A.M. We thought we had a spot at the end of the upper field, but when we approached, there was a dude in a sleeping bag that was still asleep. That mofo spent all night at the end of that sunflower field just to have a spot in the morning. Well we backtracked and ended up setting up in between the fields, which was OK, but not the greatest. I killed 9 doves, and only shot one box of shells (by far my best performance). Pops killed 8 and shot about the same amount, and my buddy killed 7. We were pretty pleased, because we were hunting in tall weeds (waist or higher) and we found all but one dove that we knocked down. All in all it was a good time. I was amazed at how early some of those guys got out there.
Proud staffer for Bust-a-Buck scent products and U-Slide Bow Holder.
http://www.bustabuckdeerlure.com/
http://u-slide.com/

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Doves?

Post by Tigerhaze » September 3rd, 2008, 4:56 pm

I wasn't able to get out, but I bet the doves will be on the move with the fall-like weather we're having right now.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Doves?

Post by hunting170 » September 3rd, 2008, 5:26 pm

huntingATM and I went to my dad`s. He has a three acre pond on 20 acres. Doves were there last year, but they weren`t on Monday. It might have helped if we had mowed around the pond last week. We fired a couple of shots, but for the most part it was a waste of time. He did get to shoot his brand spankin new Winchester Super X3 a couple hundred times on Sunday. Lots of clay pigeons bit the dust that day.
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.