crappie @ truman

Information about panfish fishing in Missouri
bwillaub
2018 Member of the Year

crappie @ truman

Post by bwillaub » May 14th, 2004, 6:51 pm

ok, guys........i've been catching crappies at truman every trip out....but....the fish are scattered all over and are running on the small side. where can i catch a few big slabs for the bacon grease?? i fish mostly out of windsor. any help will be appreciated. good fishin to ya.
a bad day on the water is still better than not being there at all.

DShootnstGentemn
2018 Member of the Year

Re: crappie @ truman

Post by DShootnstGentemn » May 15th, 2004, 8:43 am

When you said the word "Windsor" that explained a lot. With all due respect, it is a tourist hole.

Take out a map and draw a line at mid-lake on any arm you pick (including nearly all of the Tebo.) Now, when you look at the upper half, the crappie as a general rule will be much better quality than the lower half.

Also, if you are using minnows by chance, leave them on the bank and learn to fish with a jig. You will begin to enjoy larger catches.
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'fish of the day.'

bwillaub
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bwillaub » May 18th, 2004, 6:08 pm

fished saturday and limited out in about 2 1/2 hours. 4 fish over 14", smallest fish was just over 12". all females full of eggs.
got my limit yesterday too. largest fish this time was a
SLAB white @ just over 17". a couple more around 14" and the rest between 12" and 12 1/2".
12 feet of water and 7 to 8 feet down.
i WILL be back again later this week.

Uncle Bill
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Uncle Bill » May 18th, 2004, 6:12 pm

So, did you follow DSG's advice?

bwillaub
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bwillaub » May 19th, 2004, 6:31 pm

not intirely. i still fished windsor. i still fished brush creek. i started fishing with just jigs.....NOTA. tipped the blue/pearl jigs with a minnow and.......BINGO!!!
that was the ticket on this day.
will be going back tomorrow....taking my pastor with for some "divine inspiration".
good luck to ya.

bwillaub
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bwillaub » May 22nd, 2004, 6:13 pm

ok ok who turned on the rain and turned off the crappies??? went back to the same spots as b4 thursday after W _ _ K. water was the color of chocolate milk...thot of going back home but stayed anyways. first cast @ my first stop produced a 10 1/2"er. only keeper i caught in 3 1/2 hours. moved around and could NOT find any keeper fish. caught lots of shorts.
pastor backed out on me.....so i'll just blame him...cause i can't very well blame HIM.
i'll try again monday or tuesday if it doesn't rain between now and then.

good fishin to ya all.