Anyone been to Roaring River?

Information about trout fishing in Missouri
Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Anyone been to Roaring River?

Post by Warmouth » October 2nd, 2008, 9:30 am

I'm going there to a family gathering. It's the only trout park I have never been to. I have a wide array of deadly jigs and flies ready to go, and am planning on knocking them dead. Last night I tied a truely innovative jig, that if it works well, I will decide wether to pattent or just post a pic of.

I just want to know if anyone has any killer info on that particular stream. Colors that are exceptional or pools that I shouldn't miss.

It's been 4yrs or so since I've been to a trout park, and just planning this trip makes me realize that I've missed casting a chunk of cheese.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Roscoe Dog
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Anyone been to Roaring River?

Post by Roscoe Dog » October 2nd, 2008, 2:53 pm

It sucks. Been there only once and that was enough. Cant get in the water so no need for waders. Its only about 10 foot across and its crowded. Be better off to just drink beer all day.
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 3rd, 2008, 8:27 am

I've heard that it was small water, but that is whhere the family is going, so I can't change it now. I'll just have to kickass there, like I do everywhere else.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Roscoe Dog
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Roscoe Dog » October 7th, 2008, 10:25 am

Did you catch anything?
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 7th, 2008, 11:05 am

I'm going this comming weekend. I have been tying jigs like a madman, and there is no possible way I could use all of them over two days of fishing, but at least I will be prepared.

Some of these jigs are so deadly, that your hands get fish slimy just from looking at them.

I also have three holes in my upper lip from test biting them, two holes in my bottom lip. They work!

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » October 7th, 2008, 11:10 am

UHHH, Dave, I dont think that is what makes your hands smell fishy..
That's funny you don't look Druish.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 13th, 2008, 8:54 am

I liked Roaring River, but I think I was the only one who did. We went with a group of extended family, some of whome go down there multiple times per year, and besides me, I don't think anyone caught more than 3 fish per day. Saturday we got there at 10, started fishing 10:30 or so, and I caught 11 by 4pm, which is not tearing it up, but not shabby for a first time trip in the middle of the day. Sunday was a clusterfork, only fishing 2-2.5 hrs max because of a tagged fish derby, and I had caught a tagged fish. After seeing how they ran it, I wish I hadn't. We only got to fish the upper 300-400yds of section 1, and didn't explore the rest of the park, which I regret.

I also came to the conclusion that my 2lb line was old (8yrs+) and not worth a chit. Between me and LA, we broke off 15 or so jigs. The drag was set on both rods, but the snap of a hookset was stretching it over the breaking point about half the time, the old line had just lost its stretch. If the line would have held up we would have caught the chit out of fish. I didn't catch on to this until I was driving back, all of the break-offs were right at the mainline-leader knot, I saw the pattern but didn't read enough into it while we were on the river.

I would go back, but I think my father inlaw would rather piss in his own oatmeal, and spoon feed it to his azs.

Lots of lunkers at RR, but the stocker fish were below average size compared to the last time I was at a trout park.