Officiating at the Super Bowl

Discussion about sports
Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Officiating at the Super Bowl

Post by Tigerhaze » February 2nd, 2009, 10:44 am

I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about the officiating at the Super Bowl. I think that a number of bad calls were made against both teams throughout the game. It's a topic of controversy being discussed at this link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,138123

I especially thought that the refs blew it with Holmes's "excessive celebration" bu using the ball as a prop; throughout the regular season the refs were quick to jump on that so why not in the Super Bowl?
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Officiating at the Super Bowl

Post by Triton X2 » February 2nd, 2009, 11:25 am

During the course of the game, I kind of thought the same thing, but with slo mo, I thought the game officials were just about right on. Also, I am one that thought Warner's arm was NOT going forward and it was a fumble on the last play of the game.
That's funny you don't look Druish.

hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hunting170 » February 2nd, 2009, 12:07 pm

I thought that, early on, it was biased in favor of the Steelers. I really thought they missed two calls on the 100 yard run back, just before halftime. One guy had a handful of Warner`s jersey, even though he probably couldn`t have made the tackle anyway, and they missed a pretty obvious block from behind at about the 20 yard line. Good game to watch, I just wish Arizona had won. I doubt that it really matters to him, but I think it incredible that Warner has the top 3 passing yardage games in Super Bowl history.
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » February 2nd, 2009, 1:38 pm

Here's Jason Whitlock's take on officiating at the Super Bowl. I don't agree with all his statements, but can agree with his ending one. BTW, Whitlock is a columnist for the KC Star.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9168 ... I?MSNHPHMA

It is also amazing to me H170 that out of all the HOF QBs that havre played in the Super Bowl, that Kurt has the top 3 in yardage. Says something for his HOF bid, doesn't it?

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » February 2nd, 2009, 6:32 pm

Warner is really a great person, but I am not sure he should ever be put into the HOF. He had a number of years he didnt do much if anything. Granted, the Super Bowl stats are pretty good, but just sayin
That's funny you don't look Druish.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » February 3rd, 2009, 12:08 pm

I only say that Warner could be a HOFer because look at stats for others like him that are in it (for instance, Joe Namath).

Joe Namath
Career stats
TD-INT 173-220
Yards 27,663
QB Rating 65.5

Kurt Warner
Career Stats
TD-INT 182-114
Passing yards 28,591
QB Rating 93.8

As we know, HOF selections are not always based on stats or merit but rather media bias, so who knows?

hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hunting170 » February 3rd, 2009, 12:52 pm

If a dope-head like Michael Irvin can get into the Hall, then I don`t see how Warner won`t make it. If Warner`s career ended today, the slump he had for a few years will keep him out. It`s hard to have confidence in yourself when no one around you has confidence in you. If he has a couple more better-than-average years then I would think he`s in. I think he`s already one of the top, if not the top, qbs in career passing percentage. Apparently, from what I have read, Warner is an outstanding individual as well.
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.