Fishing with Dad..

The place for fishermen (and women) to gather and BS
BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Fishing with Dad..

Post by BornBad » April 30th, 2009, 11:11 pm

For the first time in two years, I finally got the ol’ boat out on some water this past weekend. God, it was good.

Now, I have showed my 8 year old daughter how to trout fish and catfish fish (?). It was time for some education on bass fishing. Priceless is when, on the first cast, while doing the whole daddy “this is how it’s done” bit.. You know, informing the protégé to cast to a point, allow the jig to settle and with a slow erratic twitch, real it back… Bam! Daddy got one. I played it cool, like it was expected, and released the fish. Then, with excitement, “Why did you let it go!?“ I turned back to her and explained my management beliefs on why I released the bass but will keep trout and catfish. ‘Just like my wife and step-mother, she was in total disagreement.

I caught 5 more that morning, released them all. The little one did not catch anything. I tell ya, though, her heart was there. It’s amazing how showing one that something can be done creates determination. Especially when she was wanting fish for dinner.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Fishing with Dad..

Post by Warmouth » May 1st, 2009, 1:58 pm

Good stuff BB. I take mine fishing quite a bit, but she'd rather catch lizards, frogs and tadpoles. :shrug: Oh, well, at least she's not afraid of getting her hands dirty.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » May 1st, 2009, 4:27 pm

Appears we are in the same boat, warmouth. For the past several years me and the daughter net up a mess of tadpoles and watch them morph into frogs. 'And there is the annual turtle coop, occasional snake, toad, lizard, salamander, etc pets. It does me good to see her appreciate and care for such things.

'Still runs to daddy to squish the spiders, though. :yes:
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » May 5th, 2009, 7:10 am

Sure makes up for all the trying times, doesn't it? :mrgreen:
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » May 13th, 2009, 8:26 pm

I just can not wait for the day my future son in law complains to me about how my daughter pushed him aside to show him how to catch the fish or take the dirt shoot :biggrin:. My life's work will then be complete.

Challenge does lay ahead, though. My goal is to have the 1st female from the bornbad and from the Mrs bornbad clan to make it through school and on to a real career without getting knocked up. I'd hate to have to kill some SOB and spend the rest of my days in the State's bed and breakfast over it.