Well, How About Dat ! ?

Hosted by our own Duck Me Runnin, resident killer and cooker of everything and anything with fur, feathers or fins. This forum is for all our crazy, drinkin and fun lovin ducker buddies.
Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Well, How About Dat ! ?

Post by Duck Me Runnin » August 28th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Not only do we have a newly refurbished waterfowl forum, but also a mystery host.

I say " mystery " , because I didn't know I was to assume the role. :no:

I would also like to go on record as saying that I had nothing to do with the naming of the forum. :no:

I guess we'll see where it leads....................... :boozer:

Oh yeah, since this post wouldn't be complete without a food reference, let me desribe tonight's fare.

Last weekend's cool weather caused me to revert to my younger days, when I had a case of the ass for every squirrel in every hickory tree. I seemed to have forgotten how much fun it is to take an accurate .22 into the woods and wail on 'em.

As of 5:00 this morning, they've been stewing in a slow cooker along with some other goodies. When I got home about 3:00, I decided to sample a hind leg. I grabbed it by one end, and all of the meat fell back into the cooker.

This mess will be piled atop a plate of hot basmati rice, and accompanied by fresh maters from the garden, and grilled asiago cheese bread.

There is a food induced coma looming in my immediate future. :yes: thumb2:
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Well, How About Dat ! ?

Post by Duck Me Runnin » August 29th, 2009, 10:29 am

Like you, it had been a long time since I had eaten any limb chicken. I'll tell you this, I won't wait that long again. :no:

You have to use a slotted spoon to get an intact piece from the slow cooker. I tried tongs, and no matter how careful I was, it just fell apart. It has the same texture as really moist chicken, but it has a helluva lot more flavor. thumb2:

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » August 29th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Most yeras it's too damn hot to hunt when they're cutting hickory nuts. The fact that the lows were barely above 50 degrees last weekend gave me the itch to be in the woods.

I finally put good glass on my CZ .22, and it's now like using a surgical laser. I just may be back on that ridge tomorrow morning. The low tonight is supposed to be 51 degrees. :biggrin:

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » August 31st, 2009, 8:29 am

Hell DMR I was more excited that you got that CZ than you were. Those .22's are deadly.

I used to spend every waking moment from 13-16yrs that I could either fishing or hunting squirrels. There are a pile of squirrel recipe's, most of them suck. The slow cooker over night was one decent way, the other was to boil the piss out of them on a fairly low roll, and then bread and fry them.

Me and a buddy tried every combo we could think of to get them to be good on the grill. They weren't.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hunting170 » August 31st, 2009, 9:50 am

I`ve already killed more tree rats this year than I have in quite awhile. It`s alot easier to do when you can just walk out the front door, and start hunting. I could easily kill a limit from the front deck, but I haven`t shot any in the yard...yet. I`ve only eaten squirrel two ways. They either get fried, with gravy, or my mom turns the tough ones into squirrel and dumplings. It`s better than awesome. Here`s a tip for you on the tough ones...Adolph`s Meat Tenderizer. Sprinkle it on, pierce with a fork, leave it in the fridge for a couple of days, rinse thoroughly, and fry it as usual. Works like a charm.
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » August 31st, 2009, 10:23 am

I forgot about dumplings. Rabbit dumplings are pretty durn good too.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » August 31st, 2009, 10:36 am

Chick sucks dix.

I do like cooking and eating small game from time to time. It's a decent change.

If you haven't had quail, it's about 23 times better than chicken.

Frog legs take the cake for small game though. :yes:

94% of you should avoid crows. You know who you are.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » August 31st, 2009, 11:25 am

My buddy Jason was an Arkansasing sumbich too. He'd get down on one knee and shoot into the covey so he'd get a better angle on them and get several at a shot. He cheated at every opportunity regardless of the situation. Great guy. thumb2:

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » August 31st, 2009, 12:52 pm

WM, why doesn't LA post on here anymore. She always had a way of lighting the place up in a girlie kind of way........just sayin.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » August 31st, 2009, 12:57 pm

Facebook.

Send her a friend request, if you're not too old to know what that is.

You are very old so I wouldn't bet on you on this one.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » August 31st, 2009, 2:09 pm

Warmouth wrote:Facebook.

Send her a friend request, if you're not too old to know what that is.

You are very old so I wouldn't bet on you on this one.
WTF is facebook.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » August 31st, 2009, 2:14 pm

It's where the whippersnappers hang out and the girls show pics of themselves in bra's.

You probably wouldn't be into it.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » August 31st, 2009, 3:33 pm

Well, I did go back up on the hickory infested ridge. Another limit of limb chickens were snuffed. Man, those woods are thick, but I still managed to zap one form about 55 yds.

Creepin' around stalkin' those squirrels makes you feel, like a kid again. Speaking of that, my buddy's son shot his first squirrel yesterday. And he did it with my .410, that I've had for 38 years. Just seeing his face made the trip worth while. :cheers:

Sorry to interrupt y'all's little lingerie chat. :flippa:

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » August 31st, 2009, 3:42 pm

DMR, should have a load of liquid chicks tomorrow ifn' you're going to be at the homestead.