Beer Preservation During Floats

Tents, backpacks, lanters, stoves, etc.
Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Beer Preservation During Floats

Post by Tigerhaze » July 8th, 2004, 7:33 pm

OK-

I actually have an interesting topic I would like to bring up concerning one of my favorite beverages...BEER! Image

Now that the bottle bill is law, we are no longer allowed to bring bottles on canoe floats. One of my favorite beers (Boulevard Wheat) only comes in 12 oz. bottles. Obviously if I pour individual bottles into a larger plastic container, the beer will probably go flat.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to store this beer? Is there a way to transfer the beer into a mini-keg? Any other suggestions, other than switching to a different beer?

I'm really beginning to dislike this new law....
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Beer Preservation During Floats

Post by Tigerhaze » July 8th, 2004, 7:40 pm

I guess I forgot to mention that I wasn't sure if Boulevard sells mini-kegs. I know they have traditional half-barrels and probably quater-barrels, but I can't see myself going down the river with a keg in the front seat. Maybe in the back of the truck.

cook
2018 Member of the Year

Post by cook » July 9th, 2004, 1:49 am

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to store this beer? [/quote]
Uhhhhhh-in your stomach?? Image Image

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » July 9th, 2004, 9:30 am

but I can't see myself going down the river with a keg in the front seat.

Why ? I could see myself doing that Image Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » July 9th, 2004, 11:27 am

Can you "recarbonate" beer, without losing some taste? I got some friends that make their own beer and they use the soda fountain cans and a CO2 pressure tank. Wouldn't take up much more room in a canoe than a couple of scuba tanks.

Do they still sell those party balls?? Man, those were the thing for a float trip!!
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » July 9th, 2004, 3:03 pm

I thought about soda fountain CO2 but wasn't sure of that wuld work.....a good suggestion.

I haven't seen the Coors party balls ina while. They were the perfect size for a float and relatively easy to keep cold compared to a quarter barrel. I don't mind Coors Light...maybe that is what I should go to drinking.

I just don't like the taste of canned beer comared to bottles, but draft will work.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » July 9th, 2004, 4:59 pm

The CO2 set up works good for him,when he brews his own. Not sure how the Boulevard would taste after being poured into the cannister and then recarbonated.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hobiecat » July 14th, 2004, 10:34 am

Float the keg behind the canoe Image ...

or just start drink real man's beer. Image
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » July 14th, 2004, 11:12 am

Hobie-

Boulevard IS a real man's beer. I mainly like it because I have found that regardless of how much I drink of it, I will not get hangovers. I imagine it has to do with the fact that it is unfiltered. it also uses wheat and hops grown locally in MO. It is more a Missouri product than A-B products.

http://www.boulevard.com/product_set.html

BTW, what do you consider a Man's beer? Butweiper? I've seen where the water intakes for A-B are-they are below Mallincrodt and Monsanto chemical plants. I'm a native of St. Louis so I grew up drinking A-B, but it has too much formaldehyde in it which I think is causing me the hangovers.

I'm still curious if they still sell the Party Balls. They would be handy.

hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hobiecat » July 14th, 2004, 1:00 pm

PBR, Old Milwaukee, Miller Highlife, Stag, Falstaff, Black Label, and Hamms. Those are all man's beer. You know, stuff that leaves that bitter beer look on your face!
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » July 14th, 2004, 1:13 pm

I'll have a coke... If you guys aint gonna drink real beer, neither will I. Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » July 14th, 2004, 2:00 pm

PBR, Old Milwaukee, Miller Highlife, Stag, Falstaff, Black Label, and Hamms. Those are all man's beer. You know, stuff that leaves that bitter beer look on your face!

Hobie, you're right those are truly man's beers. I've drank all of those beers at some point, and gawd they bring back memories (and a few I would like to forget)! Image Image

cook
2018 Member of the Year

Post by cook » July 14th, 2004, 2:19 pm

Old Milwaukee,started drinking it in Tampa when I was 18.Brewery was halfway between my apt. and busch gardens.1.99 a six for long necks at the time,.50$ back for deposit.Still get it for 5.80 a 12 pak,not too bad for swill.Don't have a clue who makes it now,naybe the Japanese?

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » July 14th, 2004, 5:32 pm

I'm a Shafers man.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » July 14th, 2004, 5:47 pm

I was feeling a bit black one night and stopped by a C-store and bought a 40 of Schlitz malt liquor. You know what...it was pretty good.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson