BEAVER

Information about trapping in Missouri
BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

BEAVER

Post by BornBad » August 4th, 2004, 1:07 pm

The beaver is the largest rodent in North America, sometimes reaching 60 to 70 pounds or more.

Characteristics: A large, rotund rodent. The beaver is clumsy on land, but an excellent swimmer. Beavers are readily identified by their wide, flat leathery tails which can be used to sound a warning when slapped on the water. Beavers can be chocolate brown or sometimes reddish brown. The beaver has a dense, soft undercoat overlayed with longer, stiffer guard hairs. It has small eyes and ears, and a large jaw and nose. The hind feet are webbed for swimming.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Re: BEAVER

Post by BornBad » August 4th, 2004, 1:19 pm

Had one of these critters bump me while wading in the Big Piney... I chit down both legs I tell ya, fugging freaked me out - it bumped my back, I turned to see what it was and all I saw was a big large shadowy mass coasting a few inches under water...
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » August 5th, 2004, 3:52 pm

Caught one of those buggers up at Stockton Lake with a crank bait...As I brought it past its hole in the side of a bank it came out and hooked itself....Luckily it pulled out pretty quickly but it scared the bejoovers out of me as it was right near the front of the boat when he and the lure got together......Dont think I want to get much closer to em...
That's funny you don't look Druish.

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » August 5th, 2004, 8:20 pm

I likes beaver. I prefer em trimmed down some with little hair.
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hobiecat » August 6th, 2004, 7:28 pm

I likes'em skinned!
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » August 22nd, 2004, 11:00 pm

I like 'em best when the fur is all wet.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue