Your Input is Needed!

Recommend new topics and features here
90acres
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Your Input is Needed!

Post by 90acres » March 9th, 2004, 2:50 pm

JD, here's my .02, you are in a no-win situation. You would hope that people could stay away from personal attacks. It seems that DSG has a problem with Billy Boy. Shame he can't just hit ignore and move on. The only rule I would place is play nice, if attacks get personal and name calling delete the post. If it happens more than once, boot them. I mean, like saying Smitty has big ears isn't a personal attack, it's fact. But saying he's a lieing pos, well, that's too personal. Good luck and keep the communication lines open.
Happy to be here.

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » March 9th, 2004, 3:11 pm

Rules are good. I would like to see this be a place we can share information, banter some, but keep things reasonable to the point folks don't get personally attacked. Let's keep it clean guy's. I have seen several good point already and don't feel the need to duplicate effort. Image
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

fish
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fish » March 9th, 2004, 3:30 pm

2B Thanks!!! You pretty much summed my feelings as well. Now I don't have type as much. Image Image

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » March 9th, 2004, 4:17 pm

JD its your board and you can do with it whatever you want, and people will either adapt or go else where. There will always be some who will push things to the limit and take things personal....The best thing about this board is to learn and enjoy...for example I did not know Smitty had big ears...I appreciate the work you have done on this board...It is the classiest....
That's funny you don't look Druish.

SF-Labs
2018 Member of the Year

Post by SF-Labs » March 9th, 2004, 5:20 pm

JD:You would think that we could be civil enough to monitor ourselves.

I like the lodge idea for banter.

I have seen to many honest posts from someone that get Imageed without getting an honest answer.

RJW-DKW
LUV Those LABS

Center Punch
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Center Punch » March 9th, 2004, 5:28 pm

If you guys don?t want the Junk Yard Dog Gang Up mentality to evolve and eventually implode this site, then don?t turn your head when it happens. It really all comes down to the members.
Him: I'll go wait in the boat.
Her: It's the car hun. CAAAARRRR.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 9th, 2004, 7:59 pm

JimDog....one way or another I have had dealings with a lot of the people who are members here. Some were exchanges across a forum, others were people I met in person while a member of another forum. With only a couple of exceptions, these are fine people, and even those whom I feel are exceptions have contributions to make that we all can learn from. I am a strong believer in the Golden Rule: THE GUY WITH THE GOLD MAKES THE RULES. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how that applies here. I am presuming that virtually everybody here is an adult, and as such should be expected to act like one. I have been guilty of failing to live up to that in the past, as have others, but for my two cents worth, it is time to straighten up our acts and get on with the serious business of exchanging information on the subject at hand...hunting, fishing, mushroom hunting, whatever. Most of you know that Billy Boy is my fishing partner, and beyond that, he is a good friend. I know most of the background of what happened between him and the other two guys. We left the Missouri Whitetails forum to get away from the attacks and snide remarks, only to have them follow us here. I didn't read BB's complete input above, but I have a pretty good handle on how he thinks....he is a good man and just wants to be left alone. If you want to yank his/my chain in a joking manner, that's OK. That's always been a part of fishing banter and it's not taken personally. If you feel some psychologically driven need to keep attacking after more than a year away from the old Cafe, then you don't need to be here....perhaps professional help would be more appropriate to find the source of the anger. The MWT board has a system of "moderators"....maybe that works, but it sure has driven a lot of folks away, especially in the fishing area. Appointing somebody to decide who can say what, especially when clashing personalities are involved is probably not a good idea. Yet, some type of control has to be established. Here is what I would humbly suggest:
1. For the most part, I think we can self police the forums.
2. If some flaming starts, WE should be the ones to try to put out the fire before "management" is bothered.
3. If the warring parties cannot contain themselves, both sides should be give ONE warning note. Should either or both continue to try to get in "the last word", they get booted for a period of time to be determined by JimDog.
4. Perhaps JD would want to think about some sort of advisory council, either selected by him, or maybe a democratic election process from people nominated by the membership at large. Their function would be to keep check on problems and suggest solutions before they blow up. I know this sounds like "moderating", but in this instance the people on the council would not have the authority to impose any restrictions....only suggest to flaming guys that they are out of line and need to cool off. It might nip a lot of problems in the bud, and would certainly take a load off the sys admin.
Well, that's my 2 cents worth...all that and three bucks will get you a small cup of coffee at Starbucks, but ya gotta start somewhere. My thanks to JD for putting up this forum. It has great potential, and is already making an impact on a lot of us fishing in southwest Missouri.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

BPS
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BPS » March 10th, 2004, 2:04 pm

I think the lodges for the BS is a great idea. That is what ruined the 2 other Cafes. It looks like this is going to be a great website.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » March 11th, 2004, 1:50 pm

JimDog - What type of board are YOU wanting? G? PG? PG-13? R? I think that will determine what kind of rules to impose.
Personally, I'm torn. While I like the general idea of the Lodge, some of the funniest threads I've ever seen have gone against the Lodge idea. I mean, if it's something you're going to stringtently enforce, you won't ever see threads like "Class/Respect" or "Dogs on Ice". Do you really want to restrict this board that much?
If I had to choose one, I like the idea of keeping the banter in the forums (within reason), rather than keeping it confined to the Lodge. Again, I think it goes back to what type of forum that you, personally, are after...more general audience or more towards a deer camp/duckblind "mentality". Make you a deal JimDog...you follow the rules and I will too....(unlike "another" site
Image).
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

90acres
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 90acres » March 11th, 2004, 5:05 pm

Now OF, I don't think we ever need another 'Class/Respect' or 'Dogs on Ice' thread. Good grief, once was enough. Image Image
Happy to be here.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » March 11th, 2004, 5:22 pm

Damn...where is that rolling on the floor smilie, when you need him? Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Kutter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Kutter » March 12th, 2004, 12:15 am

Jimdog, lets put it this way. How long ago did you start this forum? See how fast it has taken off? Obviously, you are on the right track. As stated in many of the above replies, you make up the rules, we will either abide by them or leave. Either way, you get what you want. Remember, you can't please everyone, don't even bother trying. It wouldn't have grown this fast if you were not providing what the public wants. We trust you.

Hunter91
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hunter91 » March 12th, 2004, 8:22 pm

sounds good!!!

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » March 12th, 2004, 11:21 pm

One would think that good manners and polite behavior are given conduct for an adult. I find it sad that "rules of engagement" are even a necessary consideration. However, I do believe that in this media they are required and should be striclty enforced. The Lodge idea of where BS is conducted I think a good idea. In that place let the chips fall where they may. Those who desire to participate in that forum are and should be welcomed with open arms. In the specific topic areas I don't believe anyone wants to be abused, falsely accused, ridiculed or made a laughing stock by and among a chosen few. This is what I saw on CC. It became very evident, at least on the deer forum, that unless you were among that "chosen few" you and/or your opinions weren't welcome and if one did attempt to participate ridicule and condemnation were the normal response.

Foul language should be forbidden. A person who believes they need to resort to foul language to emphasize their point has no point to make. It shows a lack of maturity and wisdom.

One can disagree without being disagreeable.

There is something to be learned from every different experience and opinion. One should listen more than they speak.

There are very few absolutes.

No one person has had all the bad things or good things in life happen only to them, therefore no one is an authority. Experienced, yes, an authority, no. Odds are that the experience is also limited.

I make it a point not to be rude or unkind unless I am first accosted in either manner. Even then my first response is to let such ill mannered oafs go their miserable, unhappy way. I don't understand why so many find doing such a simple thing as being polite so difficult.

Yes, I believe you're going to have to have rules. The other side of that is if you don't enforce them unilateraly, why bother. I do know whatever rules you lay down you won't have to worry about me violating them. My requirements for my personal behavior, both in person and on line, are much more stringent than you could ever lay down for the masses.

I hope waht occured on CC does not occur here.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Larry Douglas
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Larry Douglas » March 14th, 2004, 10:14 am

JimDog, I finally got a chance to check this place out. Looks like it's off to a good start, hopefully it'll keep the momentum going and be another good source of info and entertainment. I'm assuming you have another job and a family, and unless you want to make a career out of this I would try to keep the checks and balances to a minimum. I don't think you're gonna limit the non-serious stuff to any one place or another. As long as it's not abusive, no fowl language or phoronography it shouldn't much matter what's said or posted where, as long as it's relative to the forum. Just my opinion, and good luck with this. You never know, it may become a worthwhile career.