Deer Rifle for a youngster

Guns, ammo, bows, tree stands, decoys, etc.
JimDog
2014 Member of the Year

Deer Rifle for a youngster

Post by JimDog » August 24th, 2004, 1:19 pm

I am looking for a rifle for my son. Let me give a bit of background...

My son is 7. I am planning on taking him hunting with me this year, but not to shoot - just to get out in the woods with me. I will also be taking my nephew, who is 14.

I am looking to get a rifle that my nephew can shoot this year, and that my son can use in a couple of years when I think he is ready. I also have a 4 year old that will probably get this rifle when his big brother outgrows it. I have been leaning toward THIS RIFLE. I really like the idea of a light weight single shot. Anyone have any opinions about this rifle? What about caliber? I am not familiar with the 7mm-08 - how does that stack up against the .223 and .243? The .223 just seems kinda light to me, so I am leaning toward the .243, but llike I said, I am not familiar with teh 7mm-08.
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Deer Rifle for a youngster

Post by coyotewhacker » August 24th, 2004, 1:37 pm

JD....the 7mm-08 is nothing more than the .308 Winchester necked down to accept a 7mm (28 caliber) bullet. The case is identical to the .243 except for neck size. The .223 is really a bit on the light size for deer...it will kill one in the hands of a good marksman, but for a first "deer rifle" it leaves a lot to be desired. If you want to get a real nice little gun and not spend a small fortune, take a look at the H&R line of single shots. I have one in .223 for coyote hunting, and just got one of the Ultra Hunter models in a gun trade a few months ago. The Ultra is chambered for a .308, the recoil is not bad at all, and my 9 year old granddaughter can shoot it without flinching.
If it comes down to a choice between the two calibers, consider this: the .243 is a flatter shooting round due to the lighter bullet weight...generally between 85 and 105 grains for normal deer loads. The 7mm-08 generally is loaded with heavier bullets in the 129 to 140 grain class, and is a little slower, but for closer shots (maybe 150 yards or less) will deliver more energy to the target.
Both are very flexible rounds, both are inherently accurate, and both are readily available almost anywhere ammo is sold. Side by side, in identical rifles the .243 would probably have a little less felt recoil, especially in the 85 to 90 grain bullet weight.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » August 24th, 2004, 1:40 pm

How 'bout that....I went to your link and looks like we're on the same wave length. BTW, all the H&R/New England rifles come with a wide trigger. That really helps overcome the heavy factory setting.
Jake & Elwood Blue

N2OUTDOORS
2018 Member of the Year

Post by N2OUTDOORS » August 24th, 2004, 3:15 pm

Looks like the rifle you are looking at is very nice for a beginner. I would recommend the 7mm-08. My friend has one and it doesn't kick that much and since it has heavier bullets, I think it will smack the deer harder than the .243 leaving a bigger exit hole which should make tracking easier.

I was going to recommend a T/C Encore since it is single shot and later he can get shotgun/rimfire/muzzle loader and bigger caliber barrels. But since you are going to keep passing it down I would go with the one you are looking at.

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » August 25th, 2004, 9:40 am

I have 2 of those rifles in .223 and will be ordering a barrel for one in .243 for deer that is the way I would go.

90acres
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 90acres » August 25th, 2004, 10:05 am

JD, I just bought that same gun last year for my youngsters. I put a scope on it, it's a good shooting gun. Both kids put meat in the freezer with it. My 13yr old daughter at about 30 yards, my 9 yr old son at 100 yards. Both dropped on the spot. I even used it for the fun of it. I didn't order it soon enough to get it in time, but you can get a .50ml barrel for like only $20 more if you order the combo. Lots of options available for that gun at a good price. I paid about $220 for this one.
Happy to be here.

GoGop
2018 Member of the Year

Post by GoGop » August 25th, 2004, 1:35 pm

I'd say .243 or .308 would be the best choices. I don't like odd-ball calibers that you can't get shells for as easily. Stick with the common stuff for the young-uns, and let them branch out when they're older and more experienced.
.. he likes to shoot a man in the throat just to see his head wobble before he hits the ground

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » August 25th, 2004, 5:36 pm

Rifles are cool and all but I opted for a 20 gauge Remington Deer Slug gun. Can swap the barrel for shot to do bird, squirrel, and turkey. My boy is small framed ( imagine that ) and was able to handle the gun by 9 years old when I first got it for him.
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » August 25th, 2004, 5:53 pm

Preach on, brother 2B. Nuttin' like sluggin' a deer.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » August 25th, 2004, 5:59 pm

In fact, I think they ought to do away with rifle altogether and go to slugs only like Illinois... Image
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

N2OUTDOORS
2018 Member of the Year

Post by N2OUTDOORS » August 25th, 2004, 6:07 pm

Image2B Image...get rid of that thought. I hate the idea of slugs only. Some of the fields I hunt on up north are big and long and I would hate to have slugs. My 7mm Mag can reach and touch em Image.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » August 25th, 2004, 6:20 pm

And that's different from Illinois how??
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

N2OUTDOORS
2018 Member of the Year

Post by N2OUTDOORS » August 25th, 2004, 6:47 pm

Image Rafe...I did not mean to imply that IL doesn't have long and big fields, just that I do not like the slug only rule.

I believe the reason IL went to slugs only is because the land was so flat and bullets at higher velocities can go much further than relatively slow moving slugs. There are small ridges around the big fields I hunt on and a long distance rifle is still very safe.

In fact, I get more enjoyment and satisfaction from well placed long range shots than up close ones Image.

GoGop
2018 Member of the Year

Post by GoGop » August 25th, 2004, 8:29 pm

In fact, I think they ought to do away with rifle altogether and go to slugs only like Illinois... Image

.........or you could use one and not try to get everyone else to follow your idea.
Image Image Image Image
.. he likes to shoot a man in the throat just to see his head wobble before he hits the ground

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » August 25th, 2004, 11:52 pm

Hey GoGOP...a few years back, the 7mm-08 was a wildcat available only to handloaders. When Remington picked it up as a factory round, its success was assured. It is slowly but surely replacing the .243 as the round of choice for women and kids. (I ain't saying that women can't shoot bigger rounds....they are smart enough to know that its much easier to kill what you can reliably hit). The recoil level is about the same as the .243, but the heavier bullets deliver more downrange energy. The .243 depends on velocity to do the job, and it does it extremely well. The 7mm-08 leans more toward retained bullet energy. Most 7mm bullets have a relatively high coefficient of energy compared to .24 caliber bullets. The 7mm diameter is almost perfect for the case capacity. The .243 is somewhat underbore for the normal amount of powder. I am already thinking about having my H&R in .308 rechambered to a .308 Ackley Improved...which will put it on par with a .30-06 in a short action case. Cheaper than a new barrel, too.
Jake & Elwood Blue