Bobber Stops?

Information about panfish fishing in Missouri
DShootnstGentemn
2018 Member of the Year

Bobber Stops?

Post by DShootnstGentemn » March 13th, 2004, 3:13 pm

Just curiuos. What are some of you folks favorite "bobber stops?" What are the pro's and cons of the one you like?

The reason I ask is; I haven't used one in prolly ten years but know I need to get back to that type of fishin in certain situations. The one I used to always use looked like a minature spring from an ink pen. You simply threaded it on your line and then pulled it in opposite directions on the line to "spread" it out. I was awsome, it casted well, it would spool on your reel well, and you could even adjust it up or down your line without much difficulty. BUT, I can't find that type any more.

Any suggestions/feedback would be helpful. Image
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'fish of the day.'

swmoDukR
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Bobber Stops?

Post by swmoDukR » March 13th, 2004, 5:02 pm

Personally I like the premade string stops. The ones were you slide your line thru the straw slide off the string, pull the two tag lines in opposite directions and cut off the tag ends. Never had any problems with it spoolin' or castin' and easy to adjust to what ever dept you need.

BarryG
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BarryG » March 13th, 2004, 5:06 pm

Go to Basspro.com and type in bobber stops. I use the Carlson, they work good for me.

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swamp_Fox » March 13th, 2004, 5:35 pm

Buy them?

Mext time you are in Walmart go to the sewing section and buy some heavy crochet thread(the slick stuff, not the fuzzy stuff) and some 4mm beads. For the price of 2 packs of pre-rolled you will have enough to last a lifetime.

Make 4-5 loose loops around your line and feed both ends back through the loops. Then pull the ends tight.
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 13th, 2004, 8:31 pm

Swamp Fox....I see what you are talking about, but can you slide the crochet thread bead stopper on the line once you have tightened it? Sounds like a real good system.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

DShootnstGentemn
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DShootnstGentemn » March 13th, 2004, 8:37 pm

Well, thanks guys for your favorites, I will look them up. I'll give your suggestion a try too Swamp Fox.

Here is how smart I am. Me and the boy was in the store @ Taberville this afternoon and I found me some Bass Pro brand stops. They looked real cool and they were attached to these little keeper thingee's so they would be harder for me to lose. Well, here come the bright part; there were no directions to them so I thought I'd take one off it's little wire keeper with the loop on it so I could look at it. Dumb. You are supposed to run your line through the loop in the wire I take it and then pull it on to your line. Now that I have removed one from it's wire......I have one less bobber stop. And no, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Image Image Image
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'fish of the day.'

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swamp_Fox » March 13th, 2004, 10:10 pm

Yote,

They slide up and down just fine.

By the way, the easiest way I've found to cut lengths is to cut the whole spool down the axis with a sharp knife. Then bundle them in finger thick bunches. Takes up less room in the tackle box.

In a pinch you can use a strand of buzz bait skirt.
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 13th, 2004, 10:24 pm

Thanks. When I would keep those little wire strung dealies in a plastic box, they always seemed to get in the way, or else a small diameter line didn't have a tight enough fit in the stopper. The tip about the line solves that problem permanently. Muchas gracias!
Jake & Elwood Blue

tjfisher
2018 Member of the Year

Post by tjfisher » March 13th, 2004, 10:33 pm

For what its worth I use the store bought ones,buy em by the hundreds ,they work well. Tried makin my own once , what a pain in the butt

BarryG
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BarryG » March 14th, 2004, 3:37 am

I bought 200 for $10 on ebay last year. The guy who I got them from didn't want to send them to me after I paid him so every other day I would fill his email with a 9kb letter asking where my bobber stops were, he finally sent them to me. I don't get mad....I'll just p u off so much you'll do the right thing!!!!

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 14th, 2004, 9:59 am

Maybe you should have put some 9MB picture attachments with your emails....most of the time you can't use your own email until everything has downloaded....that would have kept him tied up for several hours. Way to go, though.
Jake & Elwood Blue

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » March 17th, 2004, 11:35 am

i use the pre-made straw types, and as little a cork as i can get away with. driftin in the wind with 3 poles out per person either works, or confirms your havin a bad day! lol
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.