Bluegills - where in winter?

Information about panfish fishing in Missouri
powerdive
2018 Member of the Year

Bluegills - where in winter?

Post by powerdive » January 12th, 2005, 5:58 pm

Up nort', the bluegills crowd into the shallows in late fall and stay there thru first ice and into midwinter. They're generally quite active. Here in SW Missouri, where there's open water all year--well, I wonder where they be. Anybody know?

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Bluegills - where in winter?

Post by coyotewhacker » January 12th, 2005, 8:17 pm

Yah, we genr'lly catch 'em in water during the cold months joos like in the summer time. I think you will find that they will head for some of the deeper holes where the water temperature is more stable. In shallow lakes and farm ponds, you can look for them in the deepest holes in that body of water. When you finally catch up on this walleye trip, maybe you would like to hit a couple of prime farm ponds when the spring spawn starts.....strictly ultralight or fly rod. The big bull 'gills will give you all the fight you want on light gear.And it's some of the best eating you've ever had this side of a yellow perch.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » January 12th, 2005, 10:02 pm

In the winter, look for bluegills in the deep parts of the lake. Fish the same areas as in the summer, or over deep weedbeds and on the deep side of weedy drop-offs.

Try baiting mousie grubs on dropper hooks spaced a foot apart with a weight tied to the end of the line. Using three hooks increases the likelihood of hooking a bluegill in cold water when the fish refuse to move more than a foot to take the bait.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Tablerock
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tablerock » January 13th, 2005, 10:25 am

After this last warm spell, the BG's at the boat dock are right back up near the surface, hanging around boat lifts and cedar tree's the crappie guys hang from there slips.
I mean in the top 3 or 4 feet of water where the water is 20 to 35 feet deep. But generally, I believe they live deep in the winter. At least in Tablerock Lake they do......
Fish Amongst 'Em