Trapping

Information about trapping in Missouri
BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Trapping

Post by BornBad » March 4th, 2004, 10:52 am

Can someone really make a living at this in this day and age ?
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

GoGop
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Trapping

Post by GoGop » March 9th, 2004, 6:12 pm

I think it's more like a supplement.
.. he likes to shoot a man in the throat just to see his head wobble before he hits the ground

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 9th, 2004, 9:38 pm

I suppose you have to know how to tan hides or at least stretch/dry the hide to sell them ?
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

GoGop
2018 Member of the Year

Post by GoGop » March 9th, 2004, 10:05 pm

You don't have to, but you get way less money if you sell them green vs stretched and dried.
.. he likes to shoot a man in the throat just to see his head wobble before he hits the ground

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 9th, 2004, 10:19 pm

who buys them ?

GoGop
2018 Member of the Year

Post by GoGop » March 10th, 2004, 1:09 am

I don't remember the names, but if you buy a copy of The Trapper and Predator Caller there's usually info in there with date/time/location to meet a buyer. Some are travelling types, some you ship it to them. If you ship green hides, make sure you've got them prepared right or they'll rot on the way. Then all you get is a letter or phone call saying they had to pitch 'em.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 10th, 2004, 10:46 am

Well thanks GoGop - I've learned somptin. Now if I can just figure out if it's worth it to me to pick all the roadkilled skunks off the road and skin them...

GoGop
2018 Member of the Year

Post by GoGop » March 10th, 2004, 10:56 am

May the wind be at your back. Image

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » March 13th, 2004, 8:33 am

I don't believe a person could make a living in the lower 48 by trapping. Now Alaska or perhaps the Northwest Territories might be a different story. Wolf, wolverine and beaver from Alaska bring pretty good prices. I do believe it would be something of a hand to mouth existance tho and no doubt one would work his behind off.

There should be a local buyer near you who will buy green hides. As was said, stretched and dried hides always bring considerably more. I always sold green cuz I was either too lazy or too busy to stretch and dry them.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

oneshot
2018 Member of the Year

Post by oneshot » March 16th, 2004, 1:03 pm

Well I have basically the same questions.Around the house here I have Racoons,Opossums,Skunks,Grey Fox,Coyotes,Bobcats.Can I do ok with these critters?

I use to make good money Trapping I just want to make a little spending money and have a little fun.

oneshot
Image The Big Grin gets to learn something new.

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » March 16th, 2004, 7:29 pm

Oneshot....you can make some spending money, I always did. Besides, it gets rid of the vermin around your place and you do have a lot of fun doing it.

Vic

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 16th, 2004, 9:47 pm

what is the best way to skin and prepair a hide for maximum sell ? Is this a negotiation market or are the prices pretty well fixed ?

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » March 17th, 2004, 8:14 am

Fleshed, stretched and dried hides always bring the highest prices if the fur is put up well. Not over stretched or holes cut in the hide, faces well done.....just do a good job on it.

I was never able to negotiate any higher prices but for the most part I sold my fur green. I doubt there's much wiggle room.

Another thing, Missouri is kinda in that in between area on fur. Not far enough North for it to be rich and luxurious or far enough South for it to be fine and sometimes silky, or that's been my experience.

Vic
Vic

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » March 24th, 2004, 12:07 am

down here, the furs sell best if they are green. the guys pay better for green cause they do all the dryin and strechin themselves to ensure a more uniform crop so to speak
Ain't gonna break, ain't gonna bend, we're just carryin on!