Li'L Dog draws blood...(pics)

Information about trapping in Missouri
Swampbird
2018 Member of the Year

Li'L Dog draws blood...(pics)

Post by Swampbird » January 25th, 2005, 5:08 pm

Set-up right at daybreak and let out a Female Locator Howl, nothing responded, so I wait about 2mins. and repeat. Still nothing, so I wait another min. and let out A Male Locator Howl and waited. After about 4-5mins, I let out a Rabbit Distress and return to 'wait-n-watch mode.

Time drug slowly and silently, until I heard a 'yote let loose, down wind, with barks, short howls and more barks, very simular to a Kee-kee-Run. This is the Warning Call so this stand is a bust.

Went to another set-up and after 45mins, I decided to scout some new territory. Back to the truck, look over the maps and head off to greener pastures.

Arrived at the selected area and started scouting the southern side. The pines have been cut in a strip along a creekbottom, so I set-up and get out the Li'l Dog Howler and let out a Rabbit Distress cry and repeated, after a 30 sec. pause. Time went slow and silent and I was about to blow the call when I caught movement off to my right side and a Greyfox appeared and then disappeared between a log and brushpile. The rifle, with Bi-Pod, came around and the Grey stepped into the clear. A lip-squeak (Kiss'n sound) brought the Grey to a halt and she looked to see what had made the noise. Just as I pulled the trigger, her head swung forward and she took a step, the Ruger M-77.22Mag spat a CCI 50gr.HP and the Grey went down screaming. I got to her fast, but the HP had taken out her liver and she was just going limp. It was 1:35PM; Persistance paid off!

Her pelt was in prime condition, no mange, rough spots and thick, but the Mag had left an exit hole about quarter size. I found a log with a shelf type shape and set-up for the following shots.

Female GreyFox:

Ruger M-77.22Mag & Li'l Dog Howler/Distress Call:

Edited: Oops, this isn't the Predator Forum....
...I'd like to go to heaven, but I've gotten use to hanging with this crowd...

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Li'L Dog draws blood...(pics)

Post by 2BHNTN » January 25th, 2005, 6:11 pm

Still cool.
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » January 26th, 2005, 10:31 am

Neat hunt. Greys are pretty rare around here. The reds are thick though.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » January 26th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Sweet!! Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » January 26th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Hey SB,

Did you take this critter in Missouri on down south along the blackwater ?

Swampbird
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swampbird » January 26th, 2005, 4:43 pm

She met her match in the foothills of South Carolina along the Wateree River....
...I'd like to go to heaven, but I've gotten use to hanging with this crowd...

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » January 26th, 2005, 5:17 pm

Perty country down there. If I may... what brought you to this site ? Glad your here... I lived in Florida for 10 years and spent many days in swamps hunting everything that crawled, flew, walked, or slithered. Hunted some in Georgia but never in SC. Sure enjoyed the south. Image

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » January 26th, 2005, 5:41 pm

2B - Where'd you live in FL?
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.