Predator Scent-lures....

Information about hunting predators in Missouri
Swampbird
2018 Member of the Year

Predator Scent-lures....

Post by Swampbird » January 29th, 2005, 8:56 am

Coyote Con Lure. What do you think about this lure? Urine and Glandular lure....
http://www.sullivansline.com/sline/lure/lurehome.htm
...I'd like to go to heaven, but I've gotten use to hanging with this crowd...

hawkeye
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Predator Scent-lures....

Post by hawkeye » January 29th, 2005, 10:15 am

Sounds like it may work never tried a scent lure on coyotes before may just be the thing to use.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » January 29th, 2005, 11:07 am

Scent lures probably work extremely well for trappers who go to great lengths to keep human scent off their sets, but they also depend on a critter wandering through the area, catching a whiff of the odor, and then following it to the trap. My limited experience in coyote hunting has been in the arena of calling, which is intended to appeal to the coyote's sense of hunger, territorial control, breeding urge, or sometimes just plain old curiosity. The hunter calls for 20 to 30 minutes in one spot, and if nothing shows up, moves to another location. Sound carries farther and much faster than scent molecules on the wind....just ask deer hunters who rattle or blow snort calls and also put out a scent line of estrus urine. On a really good day the scent might work as far as a couple hundred yards out.
The sound can be effective to much further. If the predator scent works, great. Another weapon in the Imagenal, but I got too much "stuff" to carry already.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

Swampbird
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swampbird » January 29th, 2005, 3:58 pm

Let's look at the coyote's defense system. The coyote will either hear you, see you or smell you and with the defensive tendecy to circle and "Cut the wind" what would a smell to reinforce the calling do? I'd think the coyote would come into the scent and not continue to circle and get the caller's scent.
If this lure will get them into the snare/trap, it would have to work, just as a decoy, and lure them into a visual position.
I hunt in SC and the 'yotes can get downwind without being seen, in the pine plantations, oak ridges and swamps. I'm thinking that if I can cut his circling, then I'd have a chance at getting a sighting/shot, when hunting solo. If he responded to a howl then it's either curiosity or territorial defense and a scent lure, in conjuction with a vocalization, may be helpful....
...I'd like to go to heaven, but I've gotten use to hanging with this crowd...

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » January 30th, 2005, 12:16 pm

Makes sense when you put it that way....I was referring to the amount of time it would potentially take to attract a coyote using only the scent. If you combined it with calling, it's probably a deadly combination to hold the 'yote's attention as he tries to figure out the smell and the sound at the same time. We're on the same page here. When I hunt solo, I like to use some type of decoy, whether it's a Rigor Rabbit, an old stuffed toy, or even a bundle of feathers tied to a fence to move in the breeze.
That is yet another way to divert the critter's attention away from where you are. In our area, we have a lot of hay fields, and the farmers leave those large round bales out for three or four months at a time, and those make a good back rest as well as something to blend into if you wear lighter colored camo. I often will sit down at one and run the speaker to another one 75 feet or so away, and stick some feathers on a coathangar wire stuck in the ground even further away. That has been productive, too. Standing behind the bales does not work well for me because you are immediately silhouetted when you raise up to fire over the top of the bale.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue