17 weeks old

Train yo dawg
DH_72
2018 Member of the Year

17 weeks old

Post by DH_72 » March 23rd, 2005, 5:32 pm

My lab is 17 weeks old, is now a good time to start training for ducks. If it is, how should I go about doing this. I've had him out at a local park and he's starting to go into the water.
The jabroni beatin' pie eatin' donkey kickin' titty lickin' toughest son of a femaledog

charger19
2018 Member of the Year

Re: 17 weeks old

Post by charger19 » March 23rd, 2005, 7:25 pm

http://www.oakhillkennel.com/library/force/force1.html
http://www.buroakretrievers.com/index.html if your near KC he does training sessions
If you want any more just do a search or let me know.I would start obedience and trowing a few dummies, just don't get to serious

Daffy
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Daffy » March 24th, 2005, 8:11 am

I agree with charger19 on this one. Let the dog be a pup but starting obedience training at this age is okay.

Socialize the dog around people and other dogs. Take him/her everywhere you go.

Work on the sit command the heel but have fun with it until the pup start to mature.
NIGORNOMUS is Here!

bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bullitt » March 26th, 2005, 1:17 pm

I agree also. Basic obediance is the thing to work on now. Sit doesn't sound like much, but when you consider that sit means "Sit until I tell you otherwise", it takes on new meaning. I don't use the stay command for two reasons. One is what I said earlier, and the other is that it's just another command for Pup to learn, which isn't really needed.
It's a great time to throw fun bumpers, but Pup must learn that the bumper is yours, not his. A long lead works well to reel him in.
Pups are a blast! Have fun!!
Rehab is for quitters.