Making a trip to Truman

Information about panfish fishing in Missouri
Crappie Attitude
2018 Member of the Year

Making a trip to Truman

Post by Crappie Attitude » March 21st, 2004, 8:06 pm

A couple of friends and I are making a trip to Truman in mid-April to try for some crappie. Can anyone give us an idea of what to expect? Maybe some names of locals or bait shops that can point us in the right direction. We will be staying near Clinton and fishing around Bucksaw Point.

Any help will be appreciated.
Pomoxis annularus; The white crappie can be up to 5lb but is usually less than 2lb.

safetybass
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Making a trip to Truman

Post by safetybass » March 21st, 2004, 8:48 pm

In mid-April, you won't need any help. Crappie will be moving up ready to spawn, and will either be staged in the mouths of good spawning coves, or will be in them. Weather between now and then will dictate depth, how far in the cove, etc. Get back with us closer to your fishing trip and we'll give you better info.

ML1
2018 Member of the Year

Post by ML1 » March 21st, 2004, 11:06 pm

Try short deep coves right off of the main lake and fish slow and right along the bottom in the trees.

As it gets closer let me know and I can call a good friend who lives up there and get a report for you. That is if I'm not up there getting the info firsthand.

Crappie Attitude
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Crappie Attitude » March 22nd, 2004, 8:41 am

safetybass, So by saying we won't need any help does that mean they will be jumping in the boat by then? You sound like you know quite a bit about the lake
Pomoxis annularus; The white crappie can be up to 5lb but is usually less than 2lb.

safetybass
2018 Member of the Year

Post by safetybass » March 23rd, 2004, 12:42 am

I've been known to spend some time there. Yeah, by mid April if they're not jumpin' in the boat, you aint a whistlin' jus rite! Seriously, you will either catch the start of the spawn, or be in immediate pre-spawn when they are ganged up waiting. We'll put you on some fish, no prob.

DShootnstGentemn
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DShootnstGentemn » March 23rd, 2004, 7:42 am

CA, Your timing could be just right. This has been a really slow crappie spring here on Truman and the fish have seen virtualy no pressure.

Although I don't believe it will be quite as easy as has been indicated above, you could be in for some really good fishing, depending on the weather.

I live on the lake and have never, ever, seen the spawn start to shape up in mid-April, never. The most likely pattern will be fishing suspended fish in 5-10 feet of water in pre-spawn staging areas, in brush. The most effective way to catch these fish will be with a jig under a float. Jig depth to be determined by water color.

The lake is 10' high and will continue to be high through the time of your visit, once again, how high will depend on the weather between now and then. You mention Bucksaw, the water will have more color up-river from Bucksaw and less down-river. Without further rains, it should be in pretty good shape either way.

Last, PM me for more detailed info and a contact #. I'll be glad to share more specific info on locations etc. Good luck to ya!

'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'fish of the day.'

90acres
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 90acres » March 23rd, 2004, 11:13 am

There was a good article in the MO Game and Fish magazine I received yesterday in the mail. It featured our own Mr. Carpenter, way to go Bruce. I'm planning on coming down the weekend of April 2, will anything be happening yet?
Happy to be here.

buckeye
2018 Member of the Year

Post by buckeye » March 25th, 2004, 12:46 pm

ImageNice report DShootnstGentemn Image
Good Luck,
buckeye

DShootnstGentemn
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DShootnstGentemn » March 26th, 2004, 6:49 am

Thanks Buckeye, I try to post something worthwhile ever now and then. Image

The report is a little bit inaccurate in that; the way they are sucking the lake down now, it is gonna be @ normal pool by April 1 much less the middle of the month! We'll see what these rains over the next few days are gonna do though. Lots can change in a couple a weeks.

'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'fish of the day.'

Crappie Attitude
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Crappie Attitude » March 28th, 2004, 9:53 am

Thanks guys for the info, and thanks Dshootinest for the contact. I'll be talking to you.

How's the rain gauge look down that way?

bwillaub
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bwillaub » April 13th, 2004, 11:57 pm

any main feeder creek should be good then. i like to fish a chart. road runner slowly along the creek channel edges. let us know how you do. Image
a bad day on the water is still better than not being there at all.