new transom

Catch-all for all other types of fishing...
bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

new transom

Post by bullitt » April 2nd, 2005, 5:36 pm

I have custody of a 16ft Lowe flat bottom. The boat has been abused somewhat, and needs a new transom. Do any of you guys have experience installing one? Everything is riveted, of course, and I'm not really set up to work with rivets. The metal is OK, but the board is rotting out. It has an aluminum strut that braces the transom. I plan to replace the board, but would appreciate the benefit of any do's/don't that anyone has to offer.
Rehab is for quitters.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Re: new transom

Post by Hellbender » April 3rd, 2005, 12:20 pm

Bullitt, it was originaly a piece of linseed soaked plywood. You can replace it with a piece of outdoor plywood that has a liberal application of Thompsons Water Seal, or the like. Bolt it on with SS nuts and bolts. If the cap plate is still on it, I would move it to the new transom.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » April 4th, 2005, 2:59 pm

I think Hellbender's advice is sound. The only thing I would add is that you coat holes and bolts through the stern with a marine sealant. Most of your bolt holes are probably above the water line, but sealant will provide an extra degree of protection. I have used marine sealant for my transducer bolt holes (below the water line) with no leaks.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bullitt » April 4th, 2005, 10:21 pm

That's about what I was planning, I just wanted to see if there was a better way floating around out there.
The sealant around the bolt holes is a real good idea.
I just have to drill out the rivets, which gets me back to the drilling holes in boats phobia. It's plumb unnatural!
Thanks guys.
Rehab is for quitters.