Bearded Tooth - (Hericium erinaceus)

Mushroom hunting, mushroom eating, and all things Shroom.
hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Bearded Tooth - (Hericium erinaceus)

Post by hobiecat » April 13th, 2005, 11:48 am

Bearded Tooth - (Hericium erinaceus)- Edible

Description: With its clumps of hanging white "fur," this tooth fungus looks much like a polar bear's paw. It is pure white when fresh and young, but yellows with age.

The bearded tooth may grow quite large, as much as a foot across. Its size and whiteness make it easy to spot against the dark logs on which it grows.

Other names include bear's head, satyr's beard and hedgehog mushroom. Size 4" to 12" across.

When and Where: Summer and fall; always on trees, logs or stumps.

Cautions: The bearded tooth is distinctive and has no poisonous look-alikes. There are several closely related species which are more open and branched, but all are good edibles.

Only young, white specimens should be eaten; older, yellowed ones are sour.

Cooking Hints: Slice, parboil until tender (taste a piece to test), drain and serve with cheese sauce.
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Bearded Tooth - (Hericium erinaceus)

Post by BornBad » April 13th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Reminds my of a guinea pig Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

micus
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Bearded Tooth - (Hericium erinaceus)

Post by micus » April 24th, 2005, 8:42 pm

Found one yesterday. Cooked up well. If you didn't know it was a mushroom, you'd think it was white meat of some kind.