Now this is a Morel!!

Mushroom hunting, mushroom eating, and all things Shroom.
hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Now this is a Morel!!

Post by hobiecat » April 15th, 2005, 12:11 pm

This picture was in Tueday's edition of the Columbia Tribune.

Damon Linneman yesterday shows off his first mushroom find of the year ? a large red morel he found this weekend at an undisclosed site in Columbia. He said the fungus is nearly 8 inches tall and weighs 2 to 3 pounds. A quality control analyst for the University of Missouri-Columbia research reactor, Linneman said it was the biggest morel he?s ever found or seen. A native of Cooper County, Linneman is a longtime morel hunter. Seeking the wild mushroom is a common springtime tradition for many Missourians. Linneman is protective of his hunting grounds. ?You never give up your secret spot,? he said.
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Now this is a Morel!!

Post by Duck Me Runnin » April 15th, 2005, 12:51 pm

No it ain't. Image
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » April 15th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Dang HC, and you just posted all them informational clips. You get an F. Image Image
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hobiecat » April 15th, 2005, 1:05 pm

OK, it's a giant red morel (also known as a "false morel").

2BHNTN
2018 Member of the Year

Post by 2BHNTN » April 15th, 2005, 1:12 pm

Yes, but you can die from it iffin you don't cook all the MCH or something out of it. I just leave em alone.
"I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday

hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hobiecat » April 15th, 2005, 1:27 pm

???...

False morels are difficult to treat in an article on edible and poisonous mushrooms, because they so clearly fit both categories.

On one hand, many people have enjoyed eating false morels for years and may even consider them a favorite wild mushroom. On the other, false morels have definitely caused serious illnesses and deaths in the United States.

The problem seems to involve the amount of a toxic chemical, called monomethyl hydrazine (MMH), present in these mushrooms. MMH causes diarrhea, vomiting and severe headaches, and occasionally it can be fatal. However, because of different cooking techniques and different individual sensitivities to MMH, false morels poison some people but leave others unaffected. In addition, false morels in some areas of the country contain more MMH than in other areas. All this makes these mushrooms a very doubtful group as far as edibility is concerned.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » April 15th, 2005, 1:27 pm

It is a FALSE morel, they are NOT MORELS.

They are somewhat toxic. Many people eat 'em with no apparent damage. ( the rest eat 'em with steak Image )

Other folks get sick as heck from eating them.

The way I understand it, even if they agree with your system, the toxins accumulate in your liver.

I ate 'em when I was younger, but these days my liver doesn't need the additional abuse. Image

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » April 15th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Where's Micus? He'll clear this up for all you wannabe mushroom experts. Image Image

What's scary is that this Linneman guy is a QC analyst for a nuclear reactor and can't even get the type of mushroom correct! Image
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hobiecat » April 15th, 2005, 3:12 pm

Some peoples likes dem red ones.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » April 15th, 2005, 3:30 pm

I picked reds some on the islands last year. I gave 'em to some dude at the boat ramp, and you would have thought I gave him my truck. He was happy as helll.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » April 15th, 2005, 3:56 pm

I can live with that.

micus
2018 Member of the Year

Post by micus » April 15th, 2005, 6:30 pm

Seems like I post this every year.

Michael Kuo

False morels grow almost everywhere that morels grow. This makes hunting for morels in the spring a risky enterprise, despite the fact that so many people feel confident. The risk involved with eating morels can be reduced, however, by becoming familiar with the mushrooms.

What's the risk? Death, to begin with. Though it is rare, it is well documented that false morels can be fatally poisonous. The poison in false morels is MMH, or monmethylhydrazine (a chemical also found in rocket fuel). Though MMH is not understood completely by scientists, there is no question about whether it is poisonous or not. It appears that MMH may occur in different quantities in different false morels (even members of the same species), that its presence may vary according to geography, that its effect on people may vary between individuals, and that its toxicity may be cumulative (raising the possibility of eating false morels safely for years and then, one day, croaking after one bite). Clearly, MMH is not to be messed with.

Despite scientific evidence that false morels are poisonous, they are eaten by many people. I concede this point. Many mushroomers in our area scoff at warnings about the "beefsteak morel," since they have been picking and eating them for years. These people are lucky. It is quite possible that Old Bob could eat beefsteak morels for 20 years, and one day keel over in the kitchen just from breathing the fumes of the cooking mushrooms. It's probably possible to press your lips to your car's exhaust pipe and breathe deeply once a week for 20 years without ever feeling the effects . . . does that mean you'd do it?

The "Scandinavia excuse" is worthless. Yes, false morels are picked, eaten, even sold commercially in Scandinavia. I lived in Finland for a year, and found plenty of false morels--"ear mushrooms" (korvasieni), as they call them. But I didn't eat one bite. It may be that, for some reason, the far northern latitude is related to reduced levels of poison. But even in Finland, reports of poisonings exist; the year I was there newspapers were beginning to warn their readers about possible dangers.

Even when it's not fatal, MMH is not a pleasant poison. You could be hospitalized, sick for days, or just throw up all night, depending on many factors. Mushroom author David Arora writes that false morels "have puzzled scientists for years because of the very narrow threshold between complete absence of discomfort and severe poisoning or even death" (893).
Do you want to approach that threshold? The only intelligent decision to make about false morels is to admire their beauty and move on; no person in his or her right mind should knowingly eat a false morel.

Cite this page as:

Kuo, M. (2001). False morel toxicity. Retrieved from the MushroomExpert.Com Web site: http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/false_morel_toxicity.html

fish
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fish » April 16th, 2005, 12:59 pm

sammich shroom Image

Just a big chunk of fungus. It is not a morel in my book Image an I usually step on em when I find them. Image

fish - Image Image

LadyAngler
<font color="#FF0000"><b>2008 Member of the YEAR</

Post by LadyAngler » April 16th, 2005, 1:00 pm

I've picked REAL morels almost twice that size... And seen other reds quite a bit bigger. I'm suprised this pic made such a splash.
Anything you can do, I can do better.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » April 18th, 2005, 10:26 am

I just talked to Damon the other day. He is a pretty good guy.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.