THE 2004 OUTDOORMISSOURI.COM CATFISH COMPETITION

Information about catfish fishing in Missouri
BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 25th, 2004, 10:09 pm

The contest:
The Outdoormissouri.com catfish competition will run from April 01, 2004 through December 31, 2004. The contest will be to have a good time and to compare your largest catfish catch, within the contest dates, amongst other members of this forum. This is just for fun, no money.

Method
Pole and Line or
Fixed Line.

Lures/baits:
Natural and/or Artificial

Place:
Any Missouri public recreational area

Species:
Channel Catfish
Flathead Catfish
Blue Catfish

Reporting:
When you want to report a catch; please post on this thread or PM me with the following format:

Member name:
Species:
Method:
Date:
Length:
Weight:

Other Rules:
No cheating of any kind. I will trust that everyone will take the time to get the correct length and an accurate weight with a good scale for reporting. If a contestant has the ability to authenticate their catch, by one form or another, then please do so in good cheer. I reserve, but do not wish to use, the right to withhold or remove an entry for dishonest or incomplete reporting.

LeaderBoards:
It will be in jpeg format, so if I have problems with maintaining it on this site- I will post a link to an off site page. I will try to keep it updated as information is presented.

I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Re: THE 2004 OUTDOORMISSOURI.COM CATFISH COMPETITION

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 26th, 2004, 1:56 am

I have a question..... Will a river,pond and lake work for fishin this cats out of?? I really do'nt have the ability to get the current river but I can get to little black river, some ponds and maybe a lake or two.

Just wondering because I think I may get in on this one.

DoniphanRedneck
Accuracy is everything.. live by it, eat by it..
--Bugger off you dried up old codfish--

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 26th, 2004, 5:15 am

Image DR

It can be any water body, so long as it is open to the general public and in Missouri. No pay lakes or privately owned ponds/lakes.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 26th, 2004, 11:29 am

thank you Image
I thought thats how it was but I was jsut wanting to be completely sure I was right.
I enjoy to catfish and to be able to show them off just for the heck of it is a great appertunaty and I really do'ntwant to pass it up. I don't catch many during the year but I may stepup the amount of fishing I do this year.

Thank again Image

DoniphanRedneck Image
Accuracy is everything.. live by it, eat by it..
--Bugger off you dried up old codfish--

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 26th, 2004, 12:05 pm

I rarely do any catfishen in public waterways, but this may prove to be a motivator for me to get away from the family stocked pond and out in the real world of things.

Two Tall the Neanderthal
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Two Tall the Neanderthal » March 26th, 2004, 2:06 pm

Who wants to be in a contest for something that includes crap as unsporting as jug, bank and trot lines... That's not fishing. Rod and reel is the only way to say you cought a damn thing. That other stuff is fine for putting fish in your freezer but it's not fishing... more like netting.

You damn well ought to include a stipulation that all fish over 15 pounds be released. Those are not eaters or fish to be taken out of the stock. If catfishing is going to become recognized as a real sport which it is, people need to bring it out of the stone age.
KILLIN' S.O.B.

cook
2018 Member of the Year

Post by cook » March 26th, 2004, 2:35 pm

2tall-are you a trout flyfisher,a quail hunter with a longbow,stick a straw in yer mouth and submerge to get a duck hunter.Those are the only "real"sportsmen.Thanks for straightning me out-how should I raise my kids?Should I get a new American truck or import?What should I have for dinner?
If you caught a fish over 15# you would know some are quite tastey,but not all,gotta try to find out.

BTW,should I wear my blue suit or the grey one?

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » March 26th, 2004, 2:36 pm

I beleive you'll find a LOT of catter's that take exception to your trot, limb and jug line fishing as 'unsporting.' You don't just go along tossing jugs in the water or setting trots anywhere. It takes skill to place em where they catch fish.
Your a little on the light side for release weights to. Most serious catter's do release 'most' of the cats caught over 30 or 40 pounds.
Most recognise it as a real sport now, especialy with the growing number of tournaments.

Two Tall the Neanderthal
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Two Tall the Neanderthal » March 26th, 2004, 3:57 pm

I've participated in those tournaments and I do what I can to promote this sport. Cook you can run your mouth if you want, but I'm not pulling anyones damn leg. Missouri's catfishing is getting more popular and the regs are so far outdated it pathetic. A little forthought could go a long way with catfishermen. I take it pretty serious and it's not a everlasting resouce to be exhausted.

Wolfie, sure it takes a smidge of skill to throw out jugs or string trot lines. But it takes a hell of a lot more to do it with a rod and real. If it offends folks when I label it just what it is, unsporting, so what. It's about time folks come around and realize the potential that serious catfishing has. I don't have a problem with guys that fixed line fish. But there is more abuse of that crap than anybody let on. The restrictions of that on public waters should be tightened and enforced... not ignored.
KILLIN' S.O.B.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 26th, 2004, 7:49 pm

Damn 2tall, who spiked your Java this am ? The face value of this card is a competition of sorts, but there is another objective here. Interest was expressed for fixed line in this competition, on a previous thread, with no opposition. I'm a get-r-done sorts of person, and getting this competition off the ground was a timed objective.

If the Administration does not oppose, this contest stands as is. I have not made it any of my bidness what anybody does with their fish and i have no intentions of doing so.

Rather than coming in here casting stones, ya could use your CCGC expertise and inspire ethical Fixed Line practices amongst readers beyond that which is required in MDC regulations Image

Kutter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Kutter » March 26th, 2004, 9:56 pm

Now I prefer to use jugs over rod and reel, yet release almost all I catch. Where does that put me??? Even when using R&R, I never keep anything over 15#. So what? That's just MY choice. It aint any of my business what others do, so long as it's legal. Ethical? I aint one to judge and Twotall, I would appriciate it if you didn't judge me.

jack
2018 Member of the Year

Post by jack » March 26th, 2004, 10:24 pm

Two Tall, you're an idiot. I've ate plenty of flathead well over 15 lbs and they taste just fine. The only time I've ever seen that it is benificial to release a big cat is if it is full of eggs. I saw some guys release a 70 pounder for that reason and them fellers won't have batted an eye about cleaning it otherwise. As long as you're legal, I say Fish On!
John"Jack"Wilke
Member DU,MWA,& NRA
And WAS
Gitter Done!

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » March 26th, 2004, 11:10 pm

Ethical= stuff that does not eat at the conscience of most.

It bugs me to see shaking limbs for hours w/no body checking on them. I am likely to release your fish and remove your line for you.

It bugs me to see limb lines with belly-uped cats attached.

It bugs me to see a stretch of the Gasconade with a line attached to every other tree (more of an eyesore than anything else).

It bugs me to see abandon trot lines. But, I will retrieve them from the water and discard them at the nearest trash can for you.

It bugs me to see jugs just "bobbing" along down the river. Again, I am likely to release your catch and remove the jug from the water.

It bugs me to see abandon jugs along the banks. Again, I am likely to retrieve them from the water and discard them at the nearest trash can for you.

cook
2018 Member of the Year

Post by cook » March 27th, 2004, 1:50 am

You damn well ought to include a stipulation that all fish over 15 pounds be released.
Didn't see anything about having to keep any fish-just a length and weight post.
Please post your reason for releasing all cats over 15#-growth rates vs. spawning age,area of state,species,population density,blah.blah.blah.

Thats a pretty broad statement you made-if you can make any coherent argument for releasing all cats over 15(and not under)I might take you serious-but I doubt it.

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » March 28th, 2004, 2:09 am

Actualy it takes as much or MORE skill to place trot or limb lines in productive areas then hopping from spot to spot and tossing out a couple of baits on rods. Rods are more mobile and more 'luck' then placeing a trot or limb line in one area to produce for several days running.

Ethical= Anything legal, within the law.

"It bugs me to see shaking limbs for hours w/no body checking on them. I am likely to release your fish and remove your line for you."

As long as the limbs are labeled with their name and adress it's no buisness of yours.

Releaseing fish from trot, jug or limb lines not yours is illegal. You will get a nice hefty ticket if caught!

If your unlucky, in some areas you'll get the motor blowed off the back of your boat or holes punched in it. Some people take real exception to people running their lines.

Lines with belly up cats bother me to but in all my years i can remember two. Hooks at least are supposed to be removed from the lines if their not being used.

As to lines i know a lot of guys that remove the hooks but leave the lines because they will be back about every weekend. The rivers theirs as much as yours. Though i do agree if their NOT comeing back they should remove the whole thing.

I hate abanodoned trotlines as well. But most of those are the cheap ones put out by 'temporary' or 'sometimes' catters that figure out it's real work running one. Their either to lazy to take em back up, which i hate because it leave the hooks on them. And sometimes folks just flat forget where they put em.

The Osage river below truman is rife with them. It's a wonder anyone gets to snag a spoonie for all the 0ld lines left in. Serious catters 'Rarely' leave their lines in and go off and leave them. Their usualy high quality hand made lines worth some bucks. Not your wal-mart cheapies.

Again, tampering in anyway with anothers trotline will get you a ticket. Get caught messing with it and it's unlabled you'll get charged for running an unlabled trotline even though it's not yours.

People get real testy about folks messing with their trotlines just like their limb lines. It's not yours then leave it alone as it's illegal to tamper with. Only legal option is take an agent to deal with it.

Tampering with a jug, paticularly a labeled one is illegal as hell, just like trots or limb lines. Their not yours so leave em the hell alone! Your either going to get a ticket or run into the wrong [email]d@mn">d@mn</a> person!

Discarded jugs are fair game, especialy with no names on them. Good way to get some nice hooks. Just make sure their discarded. If their labeled and anchored the owner does NOT have to be in their immediate presance.

Jugging, trotlineing or limblineing is legal ethical and sporting. People have just as much right to fish that way as you do with a rod.

From the sound of it your advocateing 'ILLEGAL' activity just because you don't like some others 'LEGAL' activities.

All a person has to do is get your boat number or call the agent if they see you tampering with their lines/jugs and your going to get some nice tickets.

And i kid you not, i know some old boys that would'nt think twice about blowing the motor off the back of your boat for running their lines. Especialy some of the real river rats. Ive known of one or two that have done it in years past.

Best thing to do is continue your favorite legal activities and leave other folks legal activities alone before you end up in Jail or buying a new boat/motor or worse.

One more thing, this is a friendly contest among friends. The rules have been discussed, agreed upon and set.

You have two choices, join the contest and compete within in the rules or ignore the contest and fish any <a href="mailto:d@mn[/email] way YOU want to.

Untill an agent catches you tampering with someone elses lines and you lose your fishing priviliges for about 4 years plus a chunk of money.