Lost arrow

He shoots... He scores!!!
Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Lost arrow

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 29th, 2005, 12:30 am

Any "GOOD" tips for finding a lost bowfishing arrow in the grass. Now before any of you idgits start in one me about bowfishing in the yard, I was just sighting/zeroing it in. Arrow went through my backstop and submarined into the grass. I got a real good idea where it is, but damned if I can find it. Metal detector? Drag it with a rake?
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Keith@AimLow
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Lost arrow

Post by Keith@AimLow » June 29th, 2005, 12:59 am

OF..you should sight/zero in your fish bow with the string attached to the arrow to ensure it is tuned with the same elements while bowfishing. It will make a difference. Plus, you can't lose your arrow as easy. : )

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 29th, 2005, 10:15 am

Yeah, good point....but I'm a topwater. I did think about that, but having to make multiple adjustments (new-to-bow rest, nock and sight) and not having a retriever reel, I could shoot more than once before having to go after arrows. It worked great for about 12-14 shots...but it was that last fornicating arrow that I shot. I had a full cardboard box set up with loose packing in the middle and an old towel hanging on the back to catch any fly-throughs. First arrow took the towel down and second arrow was the first complete passthru of everything and no towel to catch it. Image I'm going to do some final tuning with the string attached.

So other than Monday morning quarterbacking, got any advice on how I can find the darn arrow? Image Neighbors thought I was drunk again...crawling around the backyard on my hands and knees. Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » June 29th, 2005, 4:32 pm

I had pretty good luck taking another arrow for a guide and an old knife. I'd lay the arrow down for a measurement and then pull the knife as deep as I could back across the path, then use the arrow again to make sure you aren't making the next cut too long, and do it again. If you have an old linoleum knife, the one with a hook blade, it will make it easier.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 30th, 2005, 10:04 am

FOUND!! It was about time to mow the yard again anyway. So I lowered the deck one notch and went to it. Very slowly over the area where the arrow was and about the 3rd swipe it appeared. Image Now, time to get that string tied on! Image

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » July 4th, 2005, 11:28 am

ODF....sounds like it's time to start shopping for a new backstop. I had something similar happen when I was shooting the crossbow a lot. I had two or three pass-throughs and one of the bolts is still buried somewhere out there.....bummer. At least you got your shaft back. Image
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue