Biggest walleye in the lake!

Information about walleye fishing in Missouri
powerdive
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Aren't they allowed to spear the walleye on the Arkie si

Post by powerdive » August 3rd, 2005, 7:15 pm

I'm thinking that the biggest walleye in Missouri got that way by behaving differently from the fish we catch. That fish is maybe not very easily accessible--probably lives way deep or way out, or way back in the timber. She probably regularly feeds on different forage--maybe 3-lb. drum, or suspended trout, or something. Perhaps she never bothers to spawn; nobody ever said that they have to, especially grand old dames like this one. Maybe she's getting a bit slow in her old age, and won't respond to trolled lures or semi-aggressive presentations like spinner harnesses.

I believe there are several world record-class fish out there in walleye land. Consider muskies and lake trout--both pole-and-line world records are around 70 lbs., but fish of both species have been netted that weighed over 100 lbs. each........

So there's always room at the top.

scottwhitman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by scottwhitman » August 3rd, 2005, 7:33 pm

I have always thought there is a record in Missouri. Bull Shoals is a hot bed without a doubt. A sleeper that I only saw mentioned once was the Black River. I have fished this river for 20 years or better and I believe there are 20 + fish there. I seen a fish being butched 10 years back in the 18 lb range......(65 yr old local and he was darn proud)
I have landed a 14 two 8's and one 10 over the years and have lost a couple giants. Timeing is everything!!!!!!!

Steve Johnson
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Steve Johnson » August 3rd, 2005, 8:03 pm

Scottie: You are correct about the Black River. Your experience alone with catching huge eyes should tell people that this fishery in underused and could hold a fish of 20 + lbs. I give htis place better odds of a 20 lb.walleye than many of the reservoirs, including Stockton. If you noticed before I even seen your poast on the Black, I listed places and weights of walleyes I thought that they could produce. I chose 18 lbs. for the Black, so I am in the area of that 20 + lber. I just did not have enough information available on catches from there, other than the BIG one you caught, as you told me about that a while back. But now I'm convinced this river can produce a fish this size.

powerdivehome
2018 Member of the Year

Post by powerdivehome » August 3rd, 2005, 11:01 pm

Hey Scott, tell Regina it's been 3 weeks and 2 days. Her turn... Image

scottwhitman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by scottwhitman » August 4th, 2005, 8:49 am

Good for you Mike .....keep it up, it's tough but it can be done. I love to hear the success stories.

trackerteam6
2018 Member of the Year

Post by trackerteam6 » August 4th, 2005, 11:39 am

If I remember the RUMOR correctly, MDC claimed to have shocked walleye in excess of 25 lbs during last years fish survey at Bull Shoals. Once again that was just a rumor.