One of the Great Truths of Life.......

Information about hunting predators in Missouri
coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

One of the Great Truths of Life.......

Post by coyotewhacker » August 1st, 2005, 12:25 am

I have been exchanging PMs with a nice young fella who was looking for a new rifle. Things fell in place, and tonight buyer and seller hooked up for a successful deal for both. Young fella then sends a PM telling me his wife is feeling a bit frisky. I figure end of communications for the evening, but then we launch into a discussion of coyote calling CDs. Since CW has been around a bit longer than this lad, I passed on two of life's Great Truths that I have had to learn the hard way: (1) H E L L hath no fury like a horny woman kept waiting and (2) Getting a new rifle and getting laid in the same 24 hour time frame is a once in a lifetime thing. For most it NEVER happens.
Back me up on this, fellas. Image
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Re: One of the Great Truths of Life.......

Post by hunting170 » August 1st, 2005, 2:14 am

(1) I wouldn`t know, I`ve never kept one waiting.

(2) This could be true. I bought a Remington 25/06 about 20 years ago. I don`t remember if I got lucky that night, or not. Chances are Image
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » August 1st, 2005, 10:14 am

HI70....this is a young guy and I was merely advising him, based on 38 years with the same wife (week after next) that he was in a most unusual situation and should take advantage of it while he could. When you've been to as many New Years parties as I have, certain things change over the years. Early on, the old lady was frisky all the time and a new gun was hard to come by. These days that situation has done a 180 turn. He just happend to find himself in the best of both worlds. When we signed off last night, the rifle was a done deal, and I have not heard from him this morning....must have been an exhausting night. Lucky dawg!
Image Image Image Image Image
Jake & Elwood Blue

hawkeye
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hawkeye » August 1st, 2005, 10:19 pm

Went to bed tired woke up and went to work tired and came home tired tonight. think ill just sleep tonight. Best advice i ever got CW and i Thank You very much.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » August 2nd, 2005, 12:04 pm

Things could be worse....here's somethign to brighten your day. I got those CDs burned. They will go out in today's mail if I can get motivated to wrap them up. Should be there in time for some warm weather coyote calling. Since "coyote loads" for a .30-06 are a bit hard to come by, if you are interested, we can have discussion about making your own without ruining the bank account. A bench full of reloading toys is nice, but not necessary to make extremely accurate ammo tailored to the task at hand.
Jake & Elwood Blue

hawkeye
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hawkeye » August 2nd, 2005, 8:25 pm

Cant wait to get them and try them out. Are you pretty good at reloading? Whats a good coyote load in 30 06?

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » August 2nd, 2005, 10:48 pm

I don't know as i am pretty good at reloading, but I'm still alive with all my parts after doing it for almost thirty years. There are plenty of "reloaders" who cannot make that same claim. There was some call for a reloading forum a while back, but it never came to be, so if anybody wants to discuss reloading here, I don't have a problem with it. It would probably be good to avoid the subject of max loads for obvious reasons...your gun and my gun of the same caliber might not take the same max load, and a blown chamber or a bolt letting go is not a pleasant thing. "Nuf said on that. A .30=-06 is usually not the first caliber that comes to mind as a coyote gun. That does not mean it won't do the job...it is a fine caliber, is very accurate, and probably has killed a ton of coytes over the years. It is just a lot of overkill and most guys hunt coyotes with something less potent. Then again, there are those who hunt songdogs with a .338 Magnum, so to each his own. If I were using a .30-06 to hunt varmints, I would use the lightest, fastest bullet I could find. The standard "varmint bullet" in .30 caliber is usually a 110 grain hollowpoint. I don't have any experience loading it, so I can't comment on accuracy. With a medium fast burning powder and somewhere around an eighty to eighty=five percent density load, it would be a screamer...but you don't ever want to use something like that on a deer. The hollowpoint bullets practically explode on contact...the deer would take a huge surface wound, but in all probability would not stay down and would run off to die a slow death. Use a well constructed hunting bullet for big game. If you use your '06 as a dual purpose rifle, make sure you re-zero it prior to opening day of rifle season. The point of impact on a screaming varmint bullet bullet can be considerably different from that of a standard 150 to 180 grain hunting bullet. Believe it or not, the heavier, slower bullets usually hit higher at a hundred yards than the screamers. Depending on the bullet/powder combination, the difference in point of impace can be substantial. Better to be sure of how your ammo shoots than miss a shot at a trophy animal.
Jake & Elwood Blue

hawkeye
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hawkeye » August 2nd, 2005, 11:03 pm

Think ill stick with 150gr winchesters. i dont skin coyotes anymore.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » August 3rd, 2005, 4:37 am

One load, one bullet, one point of impact....that's the name of the game. I think you will be happy with the 150 grain loads. Every major manufacturer makes good ones. You might give the polymer tipped bullets a try for varminting.
Another option I completely forgot is the .30-06 sabot rounds...that's a .22 caliber bullet with a plastic or nylon sabot that fits the bore of you rifle. They were popular a few years back and the bullets are still available on Ebay from time to time. As I recall, the muzzle velocity was up around 4000 fps...that is quick.
Jake & Elwood Blue

DuckDr.
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DuckDr. » August 17th, 2005, 7:45 pm

coyotewhacker said:
(1) H E L L hath no fury like a horny woman kept waiting and (2) Getting a new rifle and getting laid in the same 24 hour time frame is a once in a lifetime thing. For most it NEVER happens. Image

You have the ways of the world in your grasp!!! Image Image
HUMMMMM...................What was I think'n????