How many trappers do we have on here???

Information about trapping in Missouri
Missourian
2018 Member of the Year

How many trappers do we have on here???

Post by Missourian » April 6th, 2004, 5:01 pm

Just wondering if I'm the only trapper on here. Image Does anyone else trap? Thanks, Missourian Image

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Re: How many trappers do we have on here???

Post by sharps4590 » April 7th, 2004, 9:17 am

Missourian...first off welcome to the board.

I used to trap a lot but for the last 10 years quite simply haven't had the time. Anyone who has trapped knows it isn't something you do on an hour or two Saturday morning. Now that we're back in Missouri and as soon as I get our house finished I fully intend to string some steel again.

There are several other trappers on the board and I hope they reply to your question. Good luck and welcome again!

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Missourian
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Missourian » April 7th, 2004, 12:41 pm

Thanks for the reply sharps4590! I've been trapping for two years now, and I'm having a blast doing it! What critters do you intend to trap once your house is done? Thanks again, Adam

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » April 7th, 2004, 10:42 pm

In years past I mostly trapped the creeks, ponds and lakes of western Cole County where I had permission and land trapped on our place. I don't know about next season but certainly the next one I will be back on the creeks and maybe ponds here in south central Missouri after the usual, 'coon, 'rats, beaver and now otter. I have to learn everything about otter. I'm going to go after fox, coyote and some of those big ol' ridge runnin' boar coon on our new place on land. But FIRST....I HAVE to get this house built. We're only about 40% unpacked and nearly all my toys are part of what's still packed!!!!

Vic

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » April 8th, 2004, 1:18 pm

i've been interested in traping, but haven't taken the time yet. i will have to use a lot of vacation time this comming winter, so i will try to set for otter, bobcats, fox, and ole' wiley coyote, but have heard that 'yotes are awfully hard to fool.

if i come close to breaking even, i'll consider it a Imageing success. if not, i'll just call it fun. ha!
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Missourian
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Missourian » April 8th, 2004, 1:25 pm

Image LOL, I lost the idea of making any money at it long ago. I just do it for fun. The $$$ are just a bonus. Thanks for the reply, Adam

P.S. Yes, Those coyotes are tricky. I'm still trying for my first one. Image

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » April 8th, 2004, 3:15 pm

i have a buddy who is a good trapper/taxidermist and he gets a few yotes every yr along with fox and bobcats. the problem is he says half or more of the yotes he gets are mangy or have poor fur, so he gets nothing for them. but the price on the bobcats and otter are really making things interesting. worth giving it a try anyway, especialy since he has stretch boards, scrappers etc.

i'll let him show fur prep to me a "few" times maybe i'll get the hang of it!
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Missourian
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Missourian » April 8th, 2004, 3:34 pm

[Q]i'll let him show fur prep to me a "few" times maybe i'll get the hang of it![/Q]

Image Image Image

The skinning part isn't all that bad. Especially if you have somebody to show you the proper way....a "few" times. Image Adam

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » April 8th, 2004, 7:53 pm

A dear, old friend of mine who is the best trapper I ever knew told me "when you can catch the coyote consistently you can call yourself a trapper". They are sharp....but by no means impossible, I've caught some but can't do it consistently such as 'coon or 'rats or fox. I guess I'm not a trapper yet.

Vic

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » April 9th, 2004, 11:08 am

i've skinned a couple 'yotes that i have shot, but i need better way of tanning them. the ones i did ended up stiff as a board. nice looking but practically usless for anything but hangin on the wall.

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » April 9th, 2004, 7:14 pm

dave.....tanning hides is synonomous with one word.....work, and lots of it. You can tan hides as soft as silk but it doesn't come easy. You can find the info in lots of books and on lots of web sites. PM me and I'll tell ya how I used to do it.

Vic

Hunter91
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hunter91 » May 27th, 2004, 10:17 pm

I used to call myself a trapper but thats been 13 years ago. Never ran more than a string of about 35 sets for coon, possum(yes, I said possum), nutria, fox and some beaver. Sure miss it now. just don't have the time.